Nov 18, 2011, 1:04 PM EST
Jarome Iginla is trying to stay positive. When asked about his slow start, he reminded reporters that his stats were also pretty bad at this time last year.
Iginila finished 2010-11 with 43 goals, third most in the NHL.
“I was looking at my game logs from last year, about Game 17,” he said, as per the Calgary Herald.
“If you look, to be honest, I think I was minus-6 with three goals. Yeah, I think so. I think I did have one or two more assists.
“So I actually feel better than I felt at this point last year. I’m just going to try and rip pucks, keep skating and try to be better for the team.”
Iginla has five goals and four assists after 17 games, but it’s his team-worst minus-10 that really stands out.
The Flames (7-9-1) host Chicago tonight having lost five of their last eight.
For all the attention the coaching situations in Columbus and Carolina have received, Brent Sutter needs to be on the list of potential casualties, too. This is Sutter’s third season behind the bench in Calgary and he’s yet to coach the Flames in a playoff game. He was also hired by his brother, Darryl, who’s since handed off the GM reins to Jay Feaster.
Such is Calgary’s position in the Western Conference standings (14th) that center Matt Stajan is bringing up the fact the St. Louis Cardinals were able to make the playoffs and win the World Series after erasing a 10.5-game deficit with 32 games to go in the regular season.
“It’s professional sports,” said Stajan. “Things happen.”
Yep, they do. But the Cardinals were a big story for a reason. That sort of comeback is extremely rare. You’ll excuse Flames fans if they don’t take comfort in a “hey, anything’s possible” attitude…in mid-November.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)