Nov 18, 2011, 1:04 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla is trying to stay positive. When asked about his slow start, he reminded reporters that his stats were also pretty bad at this time last year.
Iginila finished 2010-11 with 43 goals, third most in the NHL.
“I was looking at my game logs from last year, about Game 17,” he said, as per the Calgary Herald.
“If you look, to be honest, I think I was minus-6 with three goals. Yeah, I think so. I think I did have one or two more assists.
“So I actually feel better than I felt at this point last year. I’m just going to try and rip pucks, keep skating and try to be better for the team.”
Iginla has five goals and four assists after 17 games, but it’s his team-worst minus-10 that really stands out.
The Flames (7-9-1) host Chicago tonight having lost five of their last eight.
For all the attention the coaching situations in Columbus and Carolina have received, Brent Sutter needs to be on the list of potential casualties, too. This is Sutter’s third season behind the bench in Calgary and he’s yet to coach the Flames in a playoff game. He was also hired by his brother, Darryl, who’s since handed off the GM reins to Jay Feaster.
Such is Calgary’s position in the Western Conference standings (14th) that center Matt Stajan is bringing up the fact the St. Louis Cardinals were able to make the playoffs and win the World Series after erasing a 10.5-game deficit with 32 games to go in the regular season.
“It’s professional sports,” said Stajan. “Things happen.”
Yep, they do. But the Cardinals were a big story for a reason. That sort of comeback is extremely rare. You’ll excuse Flames fans if they don’t take comfort in a “hey, anything’s possible” attitude…in mid-November.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 7
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36