Nov 18, 2011, 12:12 PM EDT
It’s official, the Dallas Stars have a new owner. Vancouver businessman Tom Gaglardi was given the keys to the franchise after a Delaware bankruptcy court gave the thumbs up to the deal Friday.
The NHL Board of Governors has already approved Gaglardi.
The details, courtesy the Wall Street Journal:
To get the Dallas Stars, [Gaglardi] has agreed to pay off about $50 million owed to an NHL affiliate and take out $100 million in new financing to pay the club’s senior lenders, who were owed $250.9 million as of July 31.
Junior lenders owed $146.2 million as of July 31 have already resigned themselves to taking a pounding. They will get up to $25,000 of their legal fees paid and will share in $500,000 of the recovery that is earmarked for senior lenders, under the plan.
Sucks to be a junior lender. But hey, legal fees!
Now comes the hard part for Gaglardi and new (and old) team president Jim Lites. Average attendance at the American Airlines Center is 10,023 through eight games, the lowest total in the NHL. In 2009-10, it was 17,215.
Even Greece thinks the financial picture has gotten pretty dire in Dallas.
As for the team on the ice, the Stars have lost three in a row after starting 11-3-0. They’re in Colorado tonight to play the freefalling Avs, after which they return home for four games.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 30
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)