Nov 18, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman played a key role in last night’s 4-1 win over Pittsburgh. He saw 21 minutes of ice time and recorded one hit, four penalty minutes and five blocked shots in just his second game back from an upper-body injury.
Of course, nobody wanted to talk about that. They mostly wanted to discuss was Sidney Crosby.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes Hedman still fields questions daily about the hit. “When I went back home to Sweden, everyone was asking about the hit and wanted to talk about it,” Hedman said. “It was tough for me to explain.”
The hit in question was when Hedman rammed Crosby into the end boards back on Jan. 5 (FF to 2:00) –
That was the last game Crosby played before missing extensive time with a concussion (which, in case you haven’t heard, he’s yet to return from.) There’s been great debate on whether it was the Hedman or David Steckel hit that caused Crosby’s concussion, though it’s also believed it was a culmination of the two.
“I finished my hit, and he was out for the season,” Hedman told Dave Molinari of the Post-Gazette. “That’s always tough. I told him, too, [that] I hope he recovers fast because hockey needs him. He’s a hell of a player, and it’s a lot of fun to play against him. That’s a big challenge, every night. It’s going to be a lot of fun when he’s back on the ice.
“Everyone wants to see Sidney back on the ice, me included.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)