Nov 18, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman played a key role in last night’s 4-1 win over Pittsburgh. He saw 21 minutes of ice time and recorded one hit, four penalty minutes and five blocked shots in just his second game back from an upper-body injury.
Of course, nobody wanted to talk about that. They mostly wanted to discuss was Sidney Crosby.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes Hedman still fields questions daily about the hit. “When I went back home to Sweden, everyone was asking about the hit and wanted to talk about it,” Hedman said. “It was tough for me to explain.”
The hit in question was when Hedman rammed Crosby into the end boards back on Jan. 5 (FF to 2:00) —
That was the last game Crosby played before missing extensive time with a concussion (which, in case you haven’t heard, he’s yet to return from.) There’s been great debate on whether it was the Hedman or David Steckel hit that caused Crosby’s concussion, though it’s also believed it was a culmination of the two.
“I finished my hit, and he was out for the season,” Hedman told Dave Molinari of the Post-Gazette. “That’s always tough. I told him, too, [that] I hope he recovers fast because hockey needs him. He’s a hell of a player, and it’s a lot of fun to play against him. That’s a big challenge, every night. It’s going to be a lot of fun when he’s back on the ice.
“Everyone wants to see Sidney back on the ice, me included.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)