Nov 18, 2011, 1:21 PM EST
Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman played a key role in last night’s 4-1 win over Pittsburgh. He saw 21 minutes of ice time and recorded one hit, four penalty minutes and five blocked shots in just his second game back from an upper-body injury.
Of course, nobody wanted to talk about that. They mostly wanted to discuss was Sidney Crosby.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes Hedman still fields questions daily about the hit. “When I went back home to Sweden, everyone was asking about the hit and wanted to talk about it,” Hedman said. “It was tough for me to explain.”
The hit in question was when Hedman rammed Crosby into the end boards back on Jan. 5 (FF to 2:00) —
That was the last game Crosby played before missing extensive time with a concussion (which, in case you haven’t heard, he’s yet to return from.) There’s been great debate on whether it was the Hedman or David Steckel hit that caused Crosby’s concussion, though it’s also believed it was a culmination of the two.
“I finished my hit, and he was out for the season,” Hedman told Dave Molinari of the Post-Gazette. “That’s always tough. I told him, too, [that] I hope he recovers fast because hockey needs him. He’s a hell of a player, and it’s a lot of fun to play against him. That’s a big challenge, every night. It’s going to be a lot of fun when he’s back on the ice.
“Everyone wants to see Sidney back on the ice, me included.”
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)