Nov 18, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman played a key role in last night’s 4-1 win over Pittsburgh. He saw 21 minutes of ice time and recorded one hit, four penalty minutes and five blocked shots in just his second game back from an upper-body injury.
Of course, nobody wanted to talk about that. They mostly wanted to discuss was Sidney Crosby.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes Hedman still fields questions daily about the hit. “When I went back home to Sweden, everyone was asking about the hit and wanted to talk about it,” Hedman said. “It was tough for me to explain.”
The hit in question was when Hedman rammed Crosby into the end boards back on Jan. 5 (FF to 2:00) –
That was the last game Crosby played before missing extensive time with a concussion (which, in case you haven’t heard, he’s yet to return from.) There’s been great debate on whether it was the Hedman or David Steckel hit that caused Crosby’s concussion, though it’s also believed it was a culmination of the two.
“I finished my hit, and he was out for the season,” Hedman told Dave Molinari of the Post-Gazette. “That’s always tough. I told him, too, [that] I hope he recovers fast because hockey needs him. He’s a hell of a player, and it’s a lot of fun to play against him. That’s a big challenge, every night. It’s going to be a lot of fun when he’s back on the ice.
“Everyone wants to see Sidney back on the ice, me included.”
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 3
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 19
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 57
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (69)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (59)