Nov 18, 2011, 1:21 PM EST
Tampa Bay defenseman Victor Hedman played a key role in last night’s 4-1 win over Pittsburgh. He saw 21 minutes of ice time and recorded one hit, four penalty minutes and five blocked shots in just his second game back from an upper-body injury.
Of course, nobody wanted to talk about that. They mostly wanted to discuss was Sidney Crosby.
Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review notes Hedman still fields questions daily about the hit. “When I went back home to Sweden, everyone was asking about the hit and wanted to talk about it,” Hedman said. “It was tough for me to explain.”
The hit in question was when Hedman rammed Crosby into the end boards back on Jan. 5 (FF to 2:00) –
That was the last game Crosby played before missing extensive time with a concussion (which, in case you haven’t heard, he’s yet to return from.) There’s been great debate on whether it was the Hedman or David Steckel hit that caused Crosby’s concussion, though it’s also believed it was a culmination of the two.
“I finished my hit, and he was out for the season,” Hedman told Dave Molinari of the Post-Gazette. “That’s always tough. I told him, too, [that] I hope he recovers fast because hockey needs him. He’s a hell of a player, and it’s a lot of fun to play against him. That’s a big challenge, every night. It’s going to be a lot of fun when he’s back on the ice.
“Everyone wants to see Sidney back on the ice, me included.”
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 48
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)