Nov 18, 2011, 6:21 PM EST
The Toronto Star has a story on the man behind a potential bid for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE).
Jonathan M. Nelson is the 52-year-old billionaire CEO of Providence Equity Partners. Apparently he’s one of those reclusive billionaire types that doesn’t like to speak to the media
or leave his sterilized underground bunker.
A couple of interesting things from the article:
—-Providence is an investor in Yankees Entertainment and Sports (YES) Network, the regional cable channel that airs New York Yankees and New Jersey Nets games. A similar regional network could be developed to broadcast Leafs and Raptors games, and Providence would have the expertise to make that happen.
—-Nelson has a previous working relationship with Jim Leech, CEO of Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, the group selling its 79.5-percent stake in MLSE. Providence and Teachers teamed up (along with others) in 2007 to buy Bell Canada Enterprises for $51 billion, though the subprime mortgage crisis eventually derailed the deal.
At first I was a little skeptical of the idea of a U.S. investment fund buying the Leafs, but this makes sense.
I wonder if Nelson would be willing to pay Mike Komisarek $4.5 million a season to play for the Marlies.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 9
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 18
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 49
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)