Nov 18, 2011, 6:21 PM EDT
The Toronto Star has a story on the man behind a potential bid for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE).
Jonathan M. Nelson is the 52-year-old billionaire CEO of Providence Equity Partners. Apparently he’s one of those reclusive billionaire types that doesn’t like to speak to the media
or leave his sterilized underground bunker.
A couple of interesting things from the article:
—-Providence is an investor in Yankees Entertainment and Sports (YES) Network, the regional cable channel that airs New York Yankees and New Jersey Nets games. A similar regional network could be developed to broadcast Leafs and Raptors games, and Providence would have the expertise to make that happen.
—-Nelson has a previous working relationship with Jim Leech, CEO of Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, the group selling its 79.5-percent stake in MLSE. Providence and Teachers teamed up (along with others) in 2007 to buy Bell Canada Enterprises for $51 billion, though the subprime mortgage crisis eventually derailed the deal.
At first I was a little skeptical of the idea of a U.S. investment fund buying the Leafs, but this makes sense.
I wonder if Nelson would be willing to pay Mike Komisarek $4.5 million a season to play for the Marlies.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 0
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 7
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)