Nov 18, 2011, 10:18 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes showed a different level of effort tonight against the Buffalo Sabres. Yet still, in a results oriented world, Carolina lost again (this time 1-0) and continued their freefall towards the bottom of the Eastern Conference. For those counting, that would be their seventh loss in eight games.
It’ll put the GM Jim Rutherford and the Canes in an interesting predicament. There was some chatter that coach Paul Maurice could receive his walking papers in the wake of Wednesday’s disaster in Montreal. Tonight’s Carolina team looked nothing like the team that was sleepwalking through their game against the Canadiens though. But again, there was the scoreboard problem.
The Hurricanes looked better in just about all facets of the game. The defense looked nothing like the team that has been giving up goals like a lacrosse goaltender. The Canes controlled the game for about 59 minutes—but a single defensive lapse in front of the net and a Jason Pominville rebound goal was all the Sabres would need to escape with a win. The Hurricanes were the better team and deserved a better fate.
This time, the problem was isolated the offensive side of the game. Unfortunately for the Canes, their fans, and their coach, the offensive players on the team can’t find the back of the net. The second consecutive shutout means they haven’t scored a goal since early in the 3rd period against the Flyers—on Monday. They’re scoreless drought is now at 135 minutes, 24 seconds.
It doesn’t matter if the defense is playing well or not; if the team doesn’t score, they’re not going to win.
We’ll see if the organization gives Maurice a stay of execution after the tough luck loss. The team brought the energy you’d hope they would when playing for a coach’s job—the only negative was the result. We’ll see if that’s going to be enough?
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 45
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 19
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32