Nov 18, 2011, 12:34 PM EST
Bruce Boudreau was more than a bit bummed out about how his team played in losing to Winnipeg, but one guy he didn’t want to discuss was Alex Ovechkin. As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, Boudreau was just a bit cranky about being asked about his team’s best player.
“You know what, I don’t want to talk about Alex tonight. Everywhere we go, people ask me the same question about Alex,” the coach said. “I just don’t feel like talking about him tonight.”
Well pardon us, coach.
After all, asking questions about the team’s best player who hasn’t scored a point in three games and seems to be sulking through the early part of the season might seem like a really important thing to discuss. Yes, you have to talk about him every day, but that’s part of the job.
Getting Ovechkin right should be a priority for the Caps. While they started the season out hot and Ovechkin is the team’s top goal-scorer, he’s not the dominant offensive force and game changer that we got used to watching. He’s arguably one of the best in the game and when he’s off, people are going to ask questions.
Maybe Boudreau was just saving his strength for when the Caps hit Toronto and the deluge of Ovechkin questions he’ll be sure to get there, but being the guy in charge means having to do things you don’t like sometimes. You know, like back checking.
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (123)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)