Nov 18, 2011, 4:23 PM EST
Red Wings coach Mike Babcock had a few things to get off his chest after his team’s 5-2 defeat last night in San Jose. It was Detroit’s fifth straight loss on the road.
“We’ve got to have a discussion as a group,” Babcock told reporters. “Do we want to be a good team or not? Like, life just doesn’t go on good for you. You make a decision it’s going to go good for you. You decide for yourself that you’re going to be successful; you decide for yourself that you’re going to make a difference; you decide for yourself that you’re going to have a good career.”
It’s not often you hear a coach talk about a veteran team like the Red Wings in that fashion.
Then again, it’s not often a team starts the season in such bizarre fashion. Detroit won its first five games, lost its next six, won its next four, and now it’s lost two in a row.
Bigger picture, this is an important season for the Red Wings. Chances are it’s Nicklas Lidstrom’s last before he retires as one of the greatest defensemen of all time. Without Lidstrom, Detroit is a decidedly weaker side.
Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Johan Franzen and Niklas Kronwall will still be around, but what about the next generation? Brendan Smith’s a nice prospect, but he’s got a ways to go. Same goes for Tomas Tatar.
I suppose it’s dangerous to doubt Ken Holland’s ability as a general manager — especially with a healthy dose of cap space at his disposal — but the Wings haven’t been past the second round since making the finals in 2008-09. He’ll need to make some significant moves to keep them among the NHL’s elite.
Detroit plays Saturday in Los Angeles and Sunday in Anaheim.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)