Nov 18, 2011, 12:44 PM EST
After a red-hot start to the season, the Edmonton Oilers have fallen back to earth. They’ve lost four straight and five of their last six while allowing 24 goals over the five losses. As such, Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal is asking: Do the Oilers really need to trade for a defenseman now?
It’s a fair question, considering…
— Cam Barker is out three months after undergoing ankle surgery.
— Ryan Whitney is on the shelf with a knee injury (and has already missed time with ankle and shoulder issues).
— Andy Sutton re-aggravated his groin injury in last night’s warump and didn’t see a shift against Ottawa.
— Corey Potter sprained his ankle in the second period and didn’t return.
— Jeff Petry blocked a shot with his hand in the third and had postgame X-rays.
Matheson offered up some ideas. Toronto is likely willing to field calls about Cody Franson, the impending RFA ($800,000 cap hit) that’s only played five games this season. Same goes for San Jose with Jim Vandermeer, the former Oiler that’s struggling to crack the Sharks lineup. Other potential solutions include Matt Walker (Philadelphia) and Shaone Morrisonn (Buffalo’s AHL affiliate, Rochester).
As for trade chips…
“It’s pretty obvious Linus Omark is Tambellini’s major trading chip along with a draft pick,” Matheson writes. “Omark doesn’t want to be in Oklahoma City and has vowed to return to Europe with that out-clause in the second year of his Oilers’ contract if he doesn’t get back to the NHL either in Edmonton or somewhere else. But would Omark and a second-round pick get Franson? Iffy. I suspect Burke might rather have hard-luck Sam Gagner, but after missing most of training camp and the early part of the regular-season with a high-ankle sprain, he’s now out with a lower back problem.”
Edmonton could fix this problem by utilizing its AHL affiliate in Oklahoma. Colten Teubert, Taylor Chorney and Alex Plante could all come up and fill the void, but that presents a big question: Can the Oilers stay competitive with those guys in the lineup?
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)