Nov 17, 2011, 9:26 AM EDT
After getting shutout and shutdown by Montreal 4-0 last night it’s time to start stirring things up in Carolina.
We’ve talked here already about how GM Jim Rutherford will be eyed closely and while he stated last week that coach Paul Maurice won’t be going anywhere, things are getting out of hand fast in Carolina. The Hurricanes have given up the most goals in the league, they have the second worst goals allowed per game ratio, and their best players are slumping horribly.
TSN’s Darren Dreger has the same gut feeling that either a trade or a coaching change is coming because all the signs are there. If it’s not Paul Maurice heading out the door, what players could be on the move? Here’s a short list.
Rumors have rumbled about this year that Tuomo Ruutu could be available at the right price. He’s in the final year of his deal and while he’s one of Carolina’s younger players that’s producing, the pain of having to re-sign him in the offseason coupled with the possibility of what he could bring back in a trade could be too tempting for the Hurricanes to ignore.
Other players in the final year of their deal that could be more easily moved are forward Alexei Ponikarovsky and defensemen Bryan Allen, Jamie McBain, and Tim Gleason. McBain is one guy who could be more attractive for teams given his age but older vets like Allen and Gleason could be more attractive given their experience. The Canes have a surplus on defense so a move there might be easier to make.
One thing’s for sure, given how many goals the Hurricanes have given up, the defense needs work. Whether that’s with new personnel or a new coach that remains to be seen.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)