Nov 17, 2011, 9:26 AM EDT
After getting shutout and shutdown by Montreal 4-0 last night it’s time to start stirring things up in Carolina.
We’ve talked here already about how GM Jim Rutherford will be eyed closely and while he stated last week that coach Paul Maurice won’t be going anywhere, things are getting out of hand fast in Carolina. The Hurricanes have given up the most goals in the league, they have the second worst goals allowed per game ratio, and their best players are slumping horribly.
TSN’s Darren Dreger has the same gut feeling that either a trade or a coaching change is coming because all the signs are there. If it’s not Paul Maurice heading out the door, what players could be on the move? Here’s a short list.
Rumors have rumbled about this year that Tuomo Ruutu could be available at the right price. He’s in the final year of his deal and while he’s one of Carolina’s younger players that’s producing, the pain of having to re-sign him in the offseason coupled with the possibility of what he could bring back in a trade could be too tempting for the Hurricanes to ignore.
Other players in the final year of their deal that could be more easily moved are forward Alexei Ponikarovsky and defensemen Bryan Allen, Jamie McBain, and Tim Gleason. McBain is one guy who could be more attractive for teams given his age but older vets like Allen and Gleason could be more attractive given their experience. The Canes have a surplus on defense so a move there might be easier to make.
One thing’s for sure, given how many goals the Hurricanes have given up, the defense needs work. Whether that’s with new personnel or a new coach that remains to be seen.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 28
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)