Nov 17, 2011, 9:26 AM EST
After getting shutout and shutdown by Montreal 4-0 last night it’s time to start stirring things up in Carolina.
We’ve talked here already about how GM Jim Rutherford will be eyed closely and while he stated last week that coach Paul Maurice won’t be going anywhere, things are getting out of hand fast in Carolina. The Hurricanes have given up the most goals in the league, they have the second worst goals allowed per game ratio, and their best players are slumping horribly.
TSN’s Darren Dreger has the same gut feeling that either a trade or a coaching change is coming because all the signs are there. If it’s not Paul Maurice heading out the door, what players could be on the move? Here’s a short list.
Rumors have rumbled about this year that Tuomo Ruutu could be available at the right price. He’s in the final year of his deal and while he’s one of Carolina’s younger players that’s producing, the pain of having to re-sign him in the offseason coupled with the possibility of what he could bring back in a trade could be too tempting for the Hurricanes to ignore.
Other players in the final year of their deal that could be more easily moved are forward Alexei Ponikarovsky and defensemen Bryan Allen, Jamie McBain, and Tim Gleason. McBain is one guy who could be more attractive for teams given his age but older vets like Allen and Gleason could be more attractive given their experience. The Canes have a surplus on defense so a move there might be easier to make.
One thing’s for sure, given how many goals the Hurricanes have given up, the defense needs work. Whether that’s with new personnel or a new coach that remains to be seen.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 8
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54