Nov 17, 2011, 9:26 AM EDT
After getting shutout and shutdown by Montreal 4-0 last night it’s time to start stirring things up in Carolina.
We’ve talked here already about how GM Jim Rutherford will be eyed closely and while he stated last week that coach Paul Maurice won’t be going anywhere, things are getting out of hand fast in Carolina. The Hurricanes have given up the most goals in the league, they have the second worst goals allowed per game ratio, and their best players are slumping horribly.
TSN’s Darren Dreger has the same gut feeling that either a trade or a coaching change is coming because all the signs are there. If it’s not Paul Maurice heading out the door, what players could be on the move? Here’s a short list.
Rumors have rumbled about this year that Tuomo Ruutu could be available at the right price. He’s in the final year of his deal and while he’s one of Carolina’s younger players that’s producing, the pain of having to re-sign him in the offseason coupled with the possibility of what he could bring back in a trade could be too tempting for the Hurricanes to ignore.
Other players in the final year of their deal that could be more easily moved are forward Alexei Ponikarovsky and defensemen Bryan Allen, Jamie McBain, and Tim Gleason. McBain is one guy who could be more attractive for teams given his age but older vets like Allen and Gleason could be more attractive given their experience. The Canes have a surplus on defense so a move there might be easier to make.
One thing’s for sure, given how many goals the Hurricanes have given up, the defense needs work. Whether that’s with new personnel or a new coach that remains to be seen.
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 11
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 29
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)