Nov 17, 2011, 9:26 AM EST
After getting shutout and shutdown by Montreal 4-0 last night it’s time to start stirring things up in Carolina.
We’ve talked here already about how GM Jim Rutherford will be eyed closely and while he stated last week that coach Paul Maurice won’t be going anywhere, things are getting out of hand fast in Carolina. The Hurricanes have given up the most goals in the league, they have the second worst goals allowed per game ratio, and their best players are slumping horribly.
TSN’s Darren Dreger has the same gut feeling that either a trade or a coaching change is coming because all the signs are there. If it’s not Paul Maurice heading out the door, what players could be on the move? Here’s a short list.
Rumors have rumbled about this year that Tuomo Ruutu could be available at the right price. He’s in the final year of his deal and while he’s one of Carolina’s younger players that’s producing, the pain of having to re-sign him in the offseason coupled with the possibility of what he could bring back in a trade could be too tempting for the Hurricanes to ignore.
Other players in the final year of their deal that could be more easily moved are forward Alexei Ponikarovsky and defensemen Bryan Allen, Jamie McBain, and Tim Gleason. McBain is one guy who could be more attractive for teams given his age but older vets like Allen and Gleason could be more attractive given their experience. The Canes have a surplus on defense so a move there might be easier to make.
One thing’s for sure, given how many goals the Hurricanes have given up, the defense needs work. Whether that’s with new personnel or a new coach that remains to be seen.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 1
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 10
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 8
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)