Nov 17, 2011, 4:05 PM EST
This feature profiles an NHLer (today, ex-NHLer) that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
When former Minnesota North Star/Dallas Star/Detroit Red Wing Mike Modano joined Twitter, it caught the social media world off guard. An unverified @9modano account popped up and started tweeting about Sunday shopping, Ozzie Guillen, Coors Light, Halloween costumes and warm airplane nuts.
(For verification, click here.)
It piqued everybody’s curiosity. Was it the real Modano? A fake?
If fake, how did this picture end up online?
If real, why did this picture end up online?
Turns out @9modano really is Mikey Mo. His tweets are a tad bizarre, but mostly reflect how he’s enjoying retirement: Playing golf, listening to sports-talk radio and being married to Willa Ford. Pretty sweet gig.
That said, Modano’s Twitter account isn’t just a bunch of frivolities. He’s been known to drop the occasional public-service announcement, warning people against societal dangers.
Like this, for example:
That’s Ass Burn Hot Sauce, one of the many offered by Big Daddy’s Sauces in Houston, Texas.
“Big Daddy´s Ass Burn is made with cayenne peppers for a medium heat level and awesome flavor,” notes the website. “Goes great with eggs, wings, and Mexican food.”
What remains unclear is if Modano actually tried the sauce. Does that warning mean he tried it and got burned, or was told not to consume the Ass Burn?
Confusing…until I read this tweet:
This tweet makes me think he tried the hot sauce.
- Steen, Blues hold on against Ovechkin, Capitals 4
- David Backes ejected after boarding, bloodying Karl Alzner 15
- End nearing? Lightning waive Nabokov 4
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 24
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 10
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 18
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 16
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 12
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 29