Nov 17, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer (today, ex-NHLer) that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
When former Minnesota North Star/Dallas Star/Detroit Red Wing Mike Modano joined Twitter, it caught the social media world off guard. An unverified @9modano account popped up and started tweeting about Sunday shopping, Ozzie Guillen, Coors Light, Halloween costumes and warm airplane nuts.
(For verification, click here.)
It piqued everybody’s curiosity. Was it the real Modano? A fake?
If fake, how did this picture end up online?
If real, why did this picture end up online?
Turns out @9modano really is Mikey Mo. His tweets are a tad bizarre, but mostly reflect how he’s enjoying retirement: Playing golf, listening to sports-talk radio and being married to Willa Ford. Pretty sweet gig.
That said, Modano’s Twitter account isn’t just a bunch of frivolities. He’s been known to drop the occasional public-service announcement, warning people against societal dangers.
Like this, for example:
That’s Ass Burn Hot Sauce, one of the many offered by Big Daddy’s Sauces in Houston, Texas.
“Big Daddy´s Ass Burn is made with cayenne peppers for a medium heat level and awesome flavor,” notes the website. “Goes great with eggs, wings, and Mexican food.”
What remains unclear is if Modano actually tried the sauce. Does that warning mean he tried it and got burned, or was told not to consume the Ass Burn?
Confusing…until I read this tweet:
This tweet makes me think he tried the hot sauce.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 6
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 38
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 16
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)