Nov 17, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer (today, ex-NHLer) that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
When former Minnesota North Star/Dallas Star/Detroit Red Wing Mike Modano joined Twitter, it caught the social media world off guard. An unverified @9modano account popped up and started tweeting about Sunday shopping, Ozzie Guillen, Coors Light, Halloween costumes and warm airplane nuts.
(For verification, click here.)
It piqued everybody’s curiosity. Was it the real Modano? A fake?
If fake, how did this picture end up online?
If real, why did this picture end up online?
Turns out @9modano really is Mikey Mo. His tweets are a tad bizarre, but mostly reflect how he’s enjoying retirement: Playing golf, listening to sports-talk radio and being married to Willa Ford. Pretty sweet gig.
That said, Modano’s Twitter account isn’t just a bunch of frivolities. He’s been known to drop the occasional public-service announcement, warning people against societal dangers.
Like this, for example:
That’s Ass Burn Hot Sauce, one of the many offered by Big Daddy’s Sauces in Houston, Texas.
“Big Daddy´s Ass Burn is made with cayenne peppers for a medium heat level and awesome flavor,” notes the website. “Goes great with eggs, wings, and Mexican food.”
What remains unclear is if Modano actually tried the sauce. Does that warning mean he tried it and got burned, or was told not to consume the Ass Burn?
Confusing…until I read this tweet:
This tweet makes me think he tried the hot sauce.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)