Nov 17, 2011, 4:05 PM EDT
This feature profiles an NHLer (today, ex-NHLer) that’s making noise on the Twitter machine.
When former Minnesota North Star/Dallas Star/Detroit Red Wing Mike Modano joined Twitter, it caught the social media world off guard. An unverified @9modano account popped up and started tweeting about Sunday shopping, Ozzie Guillen, Coors Light, Halloween costumes and warm airplane nuts.
(For verification, click here.)
It piqued everybody’s curiosity. Was it the real Modano? A fake?
If fake, how did this picture end up online?
If real, why did this picture end up online?
Turns out @9modano really is Mikey Mo. His tweets are a tad bizarre, but mostly reflect how he’s enjoying retirement: Playing golf, listening to sports-talk radio and being married to Willa Ford. Pretty sweet gig.
That said, Modano’s Twitter account isn’t just a bunch of frivolities. He’s been known to drop the occasional public-service announcement, warning people against societal dangers.
Like this, for example:
That’s Ass Burn Hot Sauce, one of the many offered by Big Daddy’s Sauces in Houston, Texas.
“Big Daddy´s Ass Burn is made with cayenne peppers for a medium heat level and awesome flavor,” notes the website. “Goes great with eggs, wings, and Mexican food.”
What remains unclear is if Modano actually tried the sauce. Does that warning mean he tried it and got burned, or was told not to consume the Ass Burn?
Confusing…until I read this tweet:
This tweet makes me think he tried the hot sauce.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)