Nov 17, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are in the midst of a six-game road trip that’s already seen stops in Buffalo, Toronto and Calgary, with tonight’s game in Edmonton followed by visits to Vancouver and Pittsburgh.
Fortunately, they packed their humidifiers.
That tidbit courtesy the Ottawa Citizen’s story, “Sens take travel science on road,” an interesting look at all the things the team does to promote success away from home.
Apparently the humidifiers are to ”combat the dry prairie air” in Alberta. More evidence that today’s professional athletes are…really coddled. Can’t imagine the 1970s Flyers traveled with humidifiers. Dave Schultz’s nose whistled at night, and that’s the way he liked it.
In addition to keeping the air nice and moist, the Sens also advise their players to hydrate – “Close to bed time, have a shower and ensure the room is tidy, drapes drawn to maximize melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep” – and limit their time watching TV, playing video games or using Ipads – “The blue light from these sources inhibit the body’s ability to produce melatonin.”
The Ottawa Senators – leading the NHL in the production of melatonin.
Can’t argue with the results though. The Sens are 2-1-0 on the trip with a great chance to get another win tonight against the slumping Oilers.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)