Nov 17, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are in the midst of a six-game road trip that’s already seen stops in Buffalo, Toronto and Calgary, with tonight’s game in Edmonton followed by visits to Vancouver and Pittsburgh.
Fortunately, they packed their humidifiers.
That tidbit courtesy the Ottawa Citizen’s story, “Sens take travel science on road,” an interesting look at all the things the team does to promote success away from home.
Apparently the humidifiers are to ”combat the dry prairie air” in Alberta. More evidence that today’s professional athletes are…really coddled. Can’t imagine the 1970s Flyers traveled with humidifiers. Dave Schultz’s nose whistled at night, and that’s the way he liked it.
In addition to keeping the air nice and moist, the Sens also advise their players to hydrate – “Close to bed time, have a shower and ensure the room is tidy, drapes drawn to maximize melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep” – and limit their time watching TV, playing video games or using Ipads – “The blue light from these sources inhibit the body’s ability to produce melatonin.”
The Ottawa Senators – leading the NHL in the production of melatonin.
Can’t argue with the results though. The Sens are 2-1-0 on the trip with a great chance to get another win tonight against the slumping Oilers.
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 16
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 24
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 34
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)