Nov 17, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are in the midst of a six-game road trip that’s already seen stops in Buffalo, Toronto and Calgary, with tonight’s game in Edmonton followed by visits to Vancouver and Pittsburgh.
Fortunately, they packed their humidifiers.
That tidbit courtesy the Ottawa Citizen’s story, “Sens take travel science on road,” an interesting look at all the things the team does to promote success away from home.
Apparently the humidifiers are to ”combat the dry prairie air” in Alberta. More evidence that today’s professional athletes are…really coddled. Can’t imagine the 1970s Flyers traveled with humidifiers. Dave Schultz’s nose whistled at night, and that’s the way he liked it.
In addition to keeping the air nice and moist, the Sens also advise their players to hydrate – “Close to bed time, have a shower and ensure the room is tidy, drapes drawn to maximize melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep” – and limit their time watching TV, playing video games or using Ipads – “The blue light from these sources inhibit the body’s ability to produce melatonin.”
The Ottawa Senators – leading the NHL in the production of melatonin.
Can’t argue with the results though. The Sens are 2-1-0 on the trip with a great chance to get another win tonight against the slumping Oilers.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)