Nov 17, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators are in the midst of a six-game road trip that’s already seen stops in Buffalo, Toronto and Calgary, with tonight’s game in Edmonton followed by visits to Vancouver and Pittsburgh.
Fortunately, they packed their humidifiers.
That tidbit courtesy the Ottawa Citizen’s story, “Sens take travel science on road,” an interesting look at all the things the team does to promote success away from home.
Apparently the humidifiers are to ”combat the dry prairie air” in Alberta. More evidence that today’s professional athletes are…really coddled. Can’t imagine the 1970s Flyers traveled with humidifiers. Dave Schultz’s nose whistled at night, and that’s the way he liked it.
In addition to keeping the air nice and moist, the Sens also advise their players to hydrate – “Close to bed time, have a shower and ensure the room is tidy, drapes drawn to maximize melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep” – and limit their time watching TV, playing video games or using Ipads – “The blue light from these sources inhibit the body’s ability to produce melatonin.”
The Ottawa Senators – leading the NHL in the production of melatonin.
Can’t argue with the results though. The Sens are 2-1-0 on the trip with a great chance to get another win tonight against the slumping Oilers.
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 4
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 17
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 35
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 69
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 28
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte
- Play Video: Highlights: Kings beat Sharks, take series lead
- Play Video: Brown takes out goalie Niemi
- Play Video: Demers commits reckless penalty
- Play Video: Demers slashes Doughty, but no call made
- Play Video: Niemi robs Carter to preserve tie
- Play Video: Highlights: Wings take 3-1 series lead over 'Hawks