Nov 17, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators are in the midst of a six-game road trip that’s already seen stops in Buffalo, Toronto and Calgary, with tonight’s game in Edmonton followed by visits to Vancouver and Pittsburgh.
Fortunately, they packed their humidifiers.
That tidbit courtesy the Ottawa Citizen’s story, “Sens take travel science on road,” an interesting look at all the things the team does to promote success away from home.
Apparently the humidifiers are to ”combat the dry prairie air” in Alberta. More evidence that today’s professional athletes are…really coddled. Can’t imagine the 1970s Flyers traveled with humidifiers. Dave Schultz’s nose whistled at night, and that’s the way he liked it.
In addition to keeping the air nice and moist, the Sens also advise their players to hydrate – “Close to bed time, have a shower and ensure the room is tidy, drapes drawn to maximize melatonin, a hormone that helps regulate sleep” – and limit their time watching TV, playing video games or using Ipads – “The blue light from these sources inhibit the body’s ability to produce melatonin.”
The Ottawa Senators – leading the NHL in the production of melatonin.
Can’t argue with the results though. The Sens are 2-1-0 on the trip with a great chance to get another win tonight against the slumping Oilers.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (145)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)