Nov 17, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
100: Percentage of Jason Garrison’s seven goals that have been assisted by Brian Campbell. This isn’t to diminish what Garrison’s done. He deserves all the praise he’s getting, as does Campbell. It just demonstrates how successful their partnership has been. Garrison, 27, was one of the NHL’s most underrated defensemen last season and is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. The Panthers would be wise to lock him up before he hits the open market. They need to keep that pairing together long term.
0: Combined penalty minutes for Brian Campbell, Erik Johnson and Brent Burns – a sneaky amazing stat considering neither defenseman has missed a game and each averages 20-plus minutes per contest. Big-minute forwards that haven’t made a trip to the box include Shawn Horcoff, Matt Duchene and Frans Nielsen.
71: PIM for Ottawa’s Zenon Konopka, the NHL’s leader in the category. Konopka is the two-time defending penalty-minutes champion. (They should have a belt for that.) He had 307 PIM in 2010-11 with the Islanders and racked up 265 the previous season in Tampa Bay. According to hockeyfights.com, Konopka’s dropped the gloves 82 times in 208 career NHL games. For what it’s worth, he’s also good at faceoffs (57.1%).
12: Minor penalties for Washington forward Alex Semin. The only players with more are Corey Perry (15) and Sheldon Souray (14). But hey, that’s what you get with Semin. The guy plays on the edge. Sometimes he’s going to cross the line. It’s the price the Caps pay for sheer intensity.
9: Outright losses for the Canucks in their first 19 games. Only two teams (Columbus and Carolina) have more outright losses than the defending Presidents’ Trophy winners. Vancouver had just 19 outright losses in all of 2010-11.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)