Nov 17, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
Some Stats is a weekly feature that will run every Thursday on PHT. In Some Stats, we look at some stats.
100: Percentage of Jason Garrison’s seven goals that have been assisted by Brian Campbell. This isn’t to diminish what Garrison’s done. He deserves all the praise he’s getting, as does Campbell. It just demonstrates how successful their partnership has been. Garrison, 27, was one of the NHL’s most underrated defensemen last season and is set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. The Panthers would be wise to lock him up before he hits the open market. They need to keep that pairing together long term.
0: Combined penalty minutes for Brian Campbell, Erik Johnson and Brent Burns – a sneaky amazing stat considering neither defenseman has missed a game and each averages 20-plus minutes per contest. Big-minute forwards that haven’t made a trip to the box include Shawn Horcoff, Matt Duchene and Frans Nielsen.
71: PIM for Ottawa’s Zenon Konopka, the NHL’s leader in the category. Konopka is the two-time defending penalty-minutes champion. (They should have a belt for that.) He had 307 PIM in 2010-11 with the Islanders and racked up 265 the previous season in Tampa Bay. According to hockeyfights.com, Konopka’s dropped the gloves 82 times in 208 career NHL games. For what it’s worth, he’s also good at faceoffs (57.1%).
12: Minor penalties for Washington forward Alex Semin. The only players with more are Corey Perry (15) and Sheldon Souray (14). But hey, that’s what you get with Semin. The guy plays on the edge. Sometimes he’s going to cross the line. It’s the price the Caps pay for sheer intensity.
9: Outright losses for the Canucks in their first 19 games. Only two teams (Columbus and Carolina) have more outright losses than the defending Presidents’ Trophy winners. Vancouver had just 19 outright losses in all of 2010-11.
- In praise of John Tavares 0
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 7
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31