Nov 17, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
The NHL has announced that former player Stephane Quintal will join the player safety department in a managerial role. Quintal, 43, will join the group that is currently under the guidance of Senior VP of Player Safety, Brendan Shanahan.
“I am delighted that Stephane will be joining the Department of Player Safety,” Shanahan said. “Stephane was a physical defenseman who played the game with great passion and intensity. His insight and his ability to articulate our views will be a great asset to our department.”
Shanahan then handed Quintal an employee handbook and told him to go see Linda in HR.
Quintal will join Rob Blake (who made his video debut in October with the Dan Carcillo suspension) on the player safety team. He’s the second defenseman acquired by Shanahan, who now needs a goalie, center and checking winger to ice a competitive six-man unit.
During his career, Quintal recorded 243 points (63 goals, 180 assists) and 1,320 penalty minutes in 1,037 regular-season games with Boston, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Montreal, New York Rangers and Chicago from 1988-89 through 2003-04. Of course, he’s probably best known as the last Montreal Canadien to wear No. 5 before the club retired it in honor of Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion.
Other things: Quintal once fought Eric Lindros and his big superstition was to not talk to anyone after 1:30 p.m. on gameday. Seriously. Look it up.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 9
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 64
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (64)