Nov 17, 2011, 7:02 PM EDT
The NHL has announced that former player Stephane Quintal will join the player safety department in a managerial role. Quintal, 43, will join the group that is currently under the guidance of Senior VP of Player Safety, Brendan Shanahan.
“I am delighted that Stephane will be joining the Department of Player Safety,” Shanahan said. “Stephane was a physical defenseman who played the game with great passion and intensity. His insight and his ability to articulate our views will be a great asset to our department.”
Shanahan then handed Quintal an employee handbook and told him to go see Linda in HR.
Quintal will join Rob Blake (who made his video debut in October with the Dan Carcillo suspension) on the player safety team. He’s the second defenseman acquired by Shanahan, who now needs a goalie, center and checking winger to ice a competitive six-man unit.
During his career, Quintal recorded 243 points (63 goals, 180 assists) and 1,320 penalty minutes in 1,037 regular-season games with Boston, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Montreal, New York Rangers and Chicago from 1988-89 through 2003-04. Of course, he’s probably best known as the last Montreal Canadien to wear No. 5 before the club retired it in honor of Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion.
Other things: Quintal once fought Eric Lindros and his big superstition was to not talk to anyone after 1:30 p.m. on gameday. Seriously. Look it up.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)