Nov 17, 2011, 7:02 PM EST
The NHL has announced that former player Stephane Quintal will join the player safety department in a managerial role. Quintal, 43, will join the group that is currently under the guidance of Senior VP of Player Safety, Brendan Shanahan.
“I am delighted that Stephane will be joining the Department of Player Safety,” Shanahan said. “Stephane was a physical defenseman who played the game with great passion and intensity. His insight and his ability to articulate our views will be a great asset to our department.”
Shanahan then handed Quintal an employee handbook and told him to go see Linda in HR.
Quintal will join Rob Blake (who made his video debut in October with the Dan Carcillo suspension) on the player safety team. He’s the second defenseman acquired by Shanahan, who now needs a goalie, center and checking winger to ice a competitive six-man unit.
During his career, Quintal recorded 243 points (63 goals, 180 assists) and 1,320 penalty minutes in 1,037 regular-season games with Boston, St. Louis, Winnipeg, Montreal, New York Rangers and Chicago from 1988-89 through 2003-04. Of course, he’s probably best known as the last Montreal Canadien to wear No. 5 before the club retired it in honor of Bernie “Boom Boom” Geoffrion.
Other things: Quintal once fought Eric Lindros and his big superstition was to not talk to anyone after 1:30 p.m. on gameday. Seriously. Look it up.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 11
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)