Nov 17, 2011, 7:15 PM EST
Yesterday we wrote about the potential purchase of Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment (MLSE) by Providence Equity Partners, a U.S. investment fund.
Today that news got a lot more interesting when Sportsnet reported that Wayne Gretzky could be involved.
“Yes, I’ve been approached by multiple firms considering the purchase of MLSE,” Gretzky told Sportsnet.
MLSE is the parent company of the Maple Leafs (NHL), Marlies (AHL), Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), the Air Canada Centre, among other things.
I’m not quite sure why Gretzky would be brought aboard by a group looking to purchase a controlling stake in MLSE. It’s not like the Leafs need his name to sell tickets. They’re not the Phoenix Coyotes.
I guess it wouldn’t hurt to have The Great One involved in some capacity. Maybe he could coach the Raptors.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 0
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 16
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 17
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)