Nov 17, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets were supposed to feed off their crowd. They were supposed to use the emotions of a city that finally got its NHL team back. The MTS Centre was supposed to be a tough place to visit for the opposition.
That was the theory at least. So far it hasn’t turned out that way. The Jets are an unexceptional 3-3-0 at home as they prepare to host the Capitals tonight.
“We have the tools in place. We have a great building. We have great fans,” Jets defenseman Mark Stuart told the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s about jumping on teams right away with the first few shifts, sticking up for each other and playing physical. It can be like a pack mentality at home and fans feed off it.
“Now it’s just a matter of putting that effort in place consistently to form that identity because it’s a process. The teams that have done that over the last few years, it took them awhile to develop and establish that their buildings are hard places to come into and play.”
The last game at the MTS Centre was a good one for the Jets – the home team hammered the Lightning, 5-2, on Monday. If Winnipeg is going to make a run at the playoffs, it’ll need a lot more games like that.
“It’s important for us to get some wins here,” said Jets forward Tanner Glass. “This is a city that knows its hockey and is a knowledgeable fan base. And so they’re not going to just mindlessly cheer for you. You’ve got to give them a reason.
“And you’ve got to do it consistently.”
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 2
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)