Nov 17, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets were supposed to feed off their crowd. They were supposed to use the emotions of a city that finally got its NHL team back. The MTS Centre was supposed to be a tough place to visit for the opposition.
That was the theory at least. So far it hasn’t turned out that way. The Jets are an unexceptional 3-3-0 at home as they prepare to host the Capitals tonight.
“We have the tools in place. We have a great building. We have great fans,” Jets defenseman Mark Stuart told the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s about jumping on teams right away with the first few shifts, sticking up for each other and playing physical. It can be like a pack mentality at home and fans feed off it.
“Now it’s just a matter of putting that effort in place consistently to form that identity because it’s a process. The teams that have done that over the last few years, it took them awhile to develop and establish that their buildings are hard places to come into and play.”
The last game at the MTS Centre was a good one for the Jets – the home team hammered the Lightning, 5-2, on Monday. If Winnipeg is going to make a run at the playoffs, it’ll need a lot more games like that.
“It’s important for us to get some wins here,” said Jets forward Tanner Glass. “This is a city that knows its hockey and is a knowledgeable fan base. And so they’re not going to just mindlessly cheer for you. You’ve got to give them a reason.
“And you’ve got to do it consistently.”
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 16
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 20
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 57
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 23
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car