Nov 17, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets were supposed to feed off their crowd. They were supposed to use the emotions of a city that finally got its NHL team back. The MTS Centre was supposed to be a tough place to visit for the opposition.
That was the theory at least. So far it hasn’t turned out that way. The Jets are an unexceptional 3-3-0 at home as they prepare to host the Capitals tonight.
“We have the tools in place. We have a great building. We have great fans,” Jets defenseman Mark Stuart told the Winnipeg Free Press. “It’s about jumping on teams right away with the first few shifts, sticking up for each other and playing physical. It can be like a pack mentality at home and fans feed off it.
“Now it’s just a matter of putting that effort in place consistently to form that identity because it’s a process. The teams that have done that over the last few years, it took them awhile to develop and establish that their buildings are hard places to come into and play.”
The last game at the MTS Centre was a good one for the Jets – the home team hammered the Lightning, 5-2, on Monday. If Winnipeg is going to make a run at the playoffs, it’ll need a lot more games like that.
“It’s important for us to get some wins here,” said Jets forward Tanner Glass. “This is a city that knows its hockey and is a knowledgeable fan base. And so they’re not going to just mindlessly cheer for you. You’ve got to give them a reason.
“And you’ve got to do it consistently.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)