Nov 17, 2011, 9:17 PM EST
Jaromir Jagr suffered a lower-body injury when he took a hit between two players early in Thursday night’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes. He only appeared on the ice for three shifts before suffering the injury and heading to the locker room. The word out of Philadelphia is that he’s out for the rest of the game—there should be more details tomorrow afternoon.
The Flyers have been leaning heavily on the Jagr/Claude Giroux duo through the first two months of the season. The two have combined for 39 points and have given the Flyers one of the most dominant lines in hockey this year. It doesn’t matter if James van Riemsdyk or Scott Hartnell is on the wing—their line has been unstoppable this year.
Most people believed that Jagr still had the talent to play in the NHL, but the major question mark around the superstar this offseason was whether he could hang for full 82-game season. The NHL schedule can be a grind and people wondered if they’d be able to survive after three seasons away from North America. Tonight’s injury could have happened to anyone—it’s the recovery process that will prove whether he can withstand the season.
Either way, the Flyers won’t want him to miss much time. He’s already formed great chemistry with Claude Giroux and helped catapult the young center to the league’s elite. The sooner they can get him back, the better.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)