Nov 17, 2011, 10:57 AM EDT
‘Tis the season for draft rankings to come out and while we saw ISS’ list yesterday, the big kahuna of lists comes from Central Scouting and theirs were released today. Sitting atop Central Scouting’s prospect list for the 2012 NHL Draft was none other than Sarnia Sting forward Nail Yakupov.
Yakupov’s talents are already inspiring fans of losing teams to want their teams to keep losing to land the best shot at getting Yakupov in the draft set to be in Pittsburgh in June. “Fail For Nail” is our own fun version of “Suck For Luck” in the NFL. Yakupov topping Central Scouting’s list differs from the ISS rankings that had QMJHL Quebec Remparts star forward Mikhail Grigorenko as their top prospect.
Whether you want your team to “Fail For Nail” or go “Stinko For Grigorenko” is purely up to you, but the bulk of the buzz centers around Yakupov.
Also hitting the top of Central Scouting’s list is WHL Everett Silvertips top defenseman Ryan Murray. Murray is the top defensive prospect in the draft and a kid that’s likely to shine when he turns pro. He’s been hyped up since he was 16 playing for Everett and the high opinions of him grow.
Elsewhere, defenseman Jacob Trouba is the top prospect from the USNTDP while the top prospect from the USHL is the fantastically named Zemgus Girgensons. We’re rooting for him based on name alone.
If you’re looking for goalie prospects to keep an eye on, P.K. Subban‘s brother Malcolm Subban is one of the top prospects out of the OHL while Andrey Makarov is worth watching out of the WHL.
This is all gibberish to most of you for now, but when next June rolls around and we throw a pop quiz at you, you should all have these names down by then. The spelling bee for Zemgus Girgensons alone will be half your grade. Be ready.
(Photo courtesy: Sarnia Sting)
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)