Nov 17, 2011, 10:57 AM EST
‘Tis the season for draft rankings to come out and while we saw ISS’ list yesterday, the big kahuna of lists comes from Central Scouting and theirs were released today. Sitting atop Central Scouting’s prospect list for the 2012 NHL Draft was none other than Sarnia Sting forward Nail Yakupov.
Yakupov’s talents are already inspiring fans of losing teams to want their teams to keep losing to land the best shot at getting Yakupov in the draft set to be in Pittsburgh in June. “Fail For Nail” is our own fun version of “Suck For Luck” in the NFL. Yakupov topping Central Scouting’s list differs from the ISS rankings that had QMJHL Quebec Remparts star forward Mikhail Grigorenko as their top prospect.
Whether you want your team to “Fail For Nail” or go “Stinko For Grigorenko” is purely up to you, but the bulk of the buzz centers around Yakupov.
Also hitting the top of Central Scouting’s list is WHL Everett Silvertips top defenseman Ryan Murray. Murray is the top defensive prospect in the draft and a kid that’s likely to shine when he turns pro. He’s been hyped up since he was 16 playing for Everett and the high opinions of him grow.
Elsewhere, defenseman Jacob Trouba is the top prospect from the USNTDP while the top prospect from the USHL is the fantastically named Zemgus Girgensons. We’re rooting for him based on name alone.
If you’re looking for goalie prospects to keep an eye on, P.K. Subban‘s brother Malcolm Subban is one of the top prospects out of the OHL while Andrey Makarov is worth watching out of the WHL.
This is all gibberish to most of you for now, but when next June rolls around and we throw a pop quiz at you, you should all have these names down by then. The spelling bee for Zemgus Girgensons alone will be half your grade. Be ready.
(Photo courtesy: Sarnia Sting)
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)