Nov 17, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
For the most part, Marchand likes his monikers (heck, he and half the Bruins were rocking Nose Face shirts during the Stanley Cup final) but there’s one he’s not especially fond of:
“Marshmont” is courtesy Felger & Mazz on 98.5 the Sports Hub in Boston. The name became popular when caller Rick from Natick kept mispronouncing Marchand as “Marshmont”. Rick from Natick would often call to complain that Marshmont wasn’t ready to be in the NHL and how Marshmont didn’t belong on the team. But then Marshmont starting lighting it up, and Rick from Natick admitted he was wrong about Marshmont.
Regardless of Rick from Natick’s apology, the nickname stuck. “I don’t like Marshmont” became one of Felger and Mazz’s go-to soundbytes (along with other morning zoo staples like fart noises and the slide whistle, I’m guessing.)
As you can imagine, Nose Face doesn’t appreciate the butchering of his surname.
“Whatever makes them feel cool about themselves, I guess. I think it could be seen as disrespectful. They know I don’t like it and they calling me that. I’m not disrespecting their name or anything,”
Marshmont Marchand told CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. “They can call me whatever they want, but I won’t be talking to them [Felger and Mazz] if they keep calling me that. I’m not fond of the name.”
In closing, I’d like to note that of the Marchand-approved nicknames, I forgot to include Andrew Ference‘s name for him — Honey Badger.
“Everybody is calling him a weasel, but I call him a Honey Badger,” said Ference. “Have you seen it on YouTube? Go ahead and type in Honey Badger on YouTube and tell me what you think.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)