Nov 17, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
For the most part, Marchand likes his monikers (heck, he and half the Bruins were rocking Nose Face shirts during the Stanley Cup final) but there’s one he’s not especially fond of:
“Marshmont” is courtesy Felger & Mazz on 98.5 the Sports Hub in Boston. The name became popular when caller Rick from Natick kept mispronouncing Marchand as “Marshmont”. Rick from Natick would often call to complain that Marshmont wasn’t ready to be in the NHL and how Marshmont didn’t belong on the team. But then Marshmont starting lighting it up, and Rick from Natick admitted he was wrong about Marshmont.
Regardless of Rick from Natick’s apology, the nickname stuck. “I don’t like Marshmont” became one of Felger and Mazz’s go-to soundbytes (along with other morning zoo staples like fart noises and the slide whistle, I’m guessing.)
As you can imagine, Nose Face doesn’t appreciate the butchering of his surname.
“Whatever makes them feel cool about themselves, I guess. I think it could be seen as disrespectful. They know I don’t like it and they calling me that. I’m not disrespecting their name or anything,”
Marshmont Marchand told CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. “They can call me whatever they want, but I won’t be talking to them [Felger and Mazz] if they keep calling me that. I’m not fond of the name.”
In closing, I’d like to note that of the Marchand-approved nicknames, I forgot to include Andrew Ference‘s name for him — Honey Badger.
“Everybody is calling him a weasel, but I call him a Honey Badger,” said Ference. “Have you seen it on YouTube? Go ahead and type in Honey Badger on YouTube and tell me what you think.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)