Nov 17, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
For the most part, Marchand likes his monikers (heck, he and half the Bruins were rocking Nose Face shirts during the Stanley Cup final) but there’s one he’s not especially fond of:
“Marshmont” is courtesy Felger & Mazz on 98.5 the Sports Hub in Boston. The name became popular when caller Rick from Natick kept mispronouncing Marchand as “Marshmont”. Rick from Natick would often call to complain that Marshmont wasn’t ready to be in the NHL and how Marshmont didn’t belong on the team. But then Marshmont starting lighting it up, and Rick from Natick admitted he was wrong about Marshmont.
Regardless of Rick from Natick’s apology, the nickname stuck. “I don’t like Marshmont” became one of Felger and Mazz’s go-to soundbytes (along with other morning zoo staples like fart noises and the slide whistle, I’m guessing.)
As you can imagine, Nose Face doesn’t appreciate the butchering of his surname.
“Whatever makes them feel cool about themselves, I guess. I think it could be seen as disrespectful. They know I don’t like it and they calling me that. I’m not disrespecting their name or anything,”
Marshmont Marchand told CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. “They can call me whatever they want, but I won’t be talking to them [Felger and Mazz] if they keep calling me that. I’m not fond of the name.”
In closing, I’d like to note that of the Marchand-approved nicknames, I forgot to include Andrew Ference‘s name for him — Honey Badger.
“Everybody is calling him a weasel, but I call him a Honey Badger,” said Ference. “Have you seen it on YouTube? Go ahead and type in Honey Badger on YouTube and tell me what you think.”
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)