Nov 17, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
For the most part, Marchand likes his monikers (heck, he and half the Bruins were rocking Nose Face shirts during the Stanley Cup final) but there’s one he’s not especially fond of:
“Marshmont” is courtesy Felger & Mazz on 98.5 the Sports Hub in Boston. The name became popular when caller Rick from Natick kept mispronouncing Marchand as “Marshmont”. Rick from Natick would often call to complain that Marshmont wasn’t ready to be in the NHL and how Marshmont didn’t belong on the team. But then Marshmont starting lighting it up, and Rick from Natick admitted he was wrong about Marshmont.
Regardless of Rick from Natick’s apology, the nickname stuck. “I don’t like Marshmont” became one of Felger and Mazz’s go-to soundbytes (along with other morning zoo staples like fart noises and the slide whistle, I’m guessing.)
As you can imagine, Nose Face doesn’t appreciate the butchering of his surname.
“Whatever makes them feel cool about themselves, I guess. I think it could be seen as disrespectful. They know I don’t like it and they calling me that. I’m not disrespecting their name or anything,”
Marshmont Marchand told CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. “They can call me whatever they want, but I won’t be talking to them [Felger and Mazz] if they keep calling me that. I’m not fond of the name.”
In closing, I’d like to note that of the Marchand-approved nicknames, I forgot to include Andrew Ference‘s name for him — Honey Badger.
“Everybody is calling him a weasel, but I call him a Honey Badger,” said Ference. “Have you seen it on YouTube? Go ahead and type in Honey Badger on YouTube and tell me what you think.”
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)