Nov 17, 2011, 1:54 PM EDT
For the most part, Marchand likes his monikers (heck, he and half the Bruins were rocking Nose Face shirts during the Stanley Cup final) but there’s one he’s not especially fond of:
“Marshmont” is courtesy Felger & Mazz on 98.5 the Sports Hub in Boston. The name became popular when caller Rick from Natick kept mispronouncing Marchand as “Marshmont”. Rick from Natick would often call to complain that Marshmont wasn’t ready to be in the NHL and how Marshmont didn’t belong on the team. But then Marshmont starting lighting it up, and Rick from Natick admitted he was wrong about Marshmont.
Regardless of Rick from Natick’s apology, the nickname stuck. “I don’t like Marshmont” became one of Felger and Mazz’s go-to soundbytes (along with other morning zoo staples like fart noises and the slide whistle, I’m guessing.)
As you can imagine, Nose Face doesn’t appreciate the butchering of his surname.
“Whatever makes them feel cool about themselves, I guess. I think it could be seen as disrespectful. They know I don’t like it and they calling me that. I’m not disrespecting their name or anything,”
Marshmont Marchand told CSN New England’s Joe Haggerty. “They can call me whatever they want, but I won’t be talking to them [Felger and Mazz] if they keep calling me that. I’m not fond of the name.”
In closing, I’d like to note that of the Marchand-approved nicknames, I forgot to include Andrew Ference‘s name for him — Honey Badger.
“Everybody is calling him a weasel, but I call him a Honey Badger,” said Ference. “Have you seen it on YouTube? Go ahead and type in Honey Badger on YouTube and tell me what you think.”
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)