Nov 17, 2011, 8:18 AM EDT
While the Rangers are riding high on a seven-game win streak, the good news continues in respect to injured defenseman Marc Staal.
New York Post beat man Larry Brooks reports that Staal has been cleared to resume light workouts after being totally shut down for over a month with concussion-like symptoms. Staal hasn’t played at all this season for the Rangers and they’ve been piecing things together on the blue line in trying to make up for his absence.
With guys like Jeff Woywitka and Anton Stralman brought in to help solidify the Rangers’ depth and make sure they don’t miss Staal too much while he battles back, the Rangers have been able to hold strong. That won’t last forever though and getting Staal back will make the Rangers better in the long run.
Staal won’t be worth anything to them if he rushes back and continues to have problems. For now, this is a great progressive step for Staal in getting back and like we’ve seen with Sidney Crosby and David Perron, making progress is the key and avoiding setbacks is mandatory for getting back sooner than not.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)