Nov 17, 2011, 8:30 PM EST
Evgeni Nabokov lasted about half of the first period against the Montreal Canadiens before he had to be helped off the ice with a groin injury. The Islanders announced that he will not return to the game and will be reevaluated on Friday.
The injury leaves the Islanders with two goaltenders left on their roster. Tonight, Rick DiPietro took over for the injured Nabokov in Long Island against Montreal. If Nabokov is forced to miss a substantial amount of time, the team will roll with DiPietro and Al Montoya until the Russian returns.
The injury is just the latest chapter in one of the most interesting goaltending situations in the NHL. Over the early part of the season, Al Montoya has been the best goaltender on the team. He has the best goals against average and best save percentage. On a slightly pathetic note, his two wins also lead all Islanders goaltenders.
Nabokov has not been overly impressive in his first active season with the Islanders. He’s only won a single game in seven starts had has battled inconsistency when he’s been in net. We’ll should find out tomorrow just how long Nabokov’s wonky groin will keep him out—but at least the Islanders have a couple of alternatives.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)