Nov 16, 2011, 8:56 AM EDT
If you were to ask who the blue liner was this season with the most goals and the most terrifying shot to handle from the blue line you might hear names like Sheldon Souray or Sami Salo. Those are good guesses, but they’re not right. Welcome Jason Garrison to the party of guys with big shots putting fear into goalies.
Garrison is the Panthers defenseman who took the defenseman goal scoring lead last night with his seventh goal of the year in a 6-0 rout of Dallas. Seeing Garrison and Souray in the same game meant that both Kari Lehtonen and Scott Clemmensen had to be on their toes, but it would be Lehtonen seeing the full fury of Garrison’s work.
Garrison is evoking thoughts of big boomers of days gone by like Al Iafrate or Al MacInnis, but unlike Iafrate and more like MacInnis, when Garrison’s shot finds the mark he’s finding the back of the net.
Out of nowhere, Garrison has become one of Florida’s best defensemen and seeing him team up with Brian Campbell on the point on power plays is helping the Panthers become a lethal unit on the man advantage. Three of Garrison’s seven goals are on the power play after all.
Craziest stat of them all for Garrison? His seven goals this year equal the number of goals he’s had in his career before this season. If you’re going to break out, you might as well go big and the same could be said of the long dormant Panthers.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)