Nov 16, 2011, 12:34 PM EDT
Did you take a look at the standings today? If not, take a look at the Northwest Division and let us know what you think. Yup, the Minnesota Wild are in first and if you can figure out how they’re doing it, we’ll try to spell it out.
Goaltending is the main thing making it happen for the Wild. Both Niklas Backstrom and Josh Harding have been lights out this season. Backstrom’s been the “worst” of the two and that’s because he’s barely allowing more than two goals a game and stopping just 93% of the shots he’s facing. Harding has been incredible with his numbers in the goaltending stratosphere.
Offensively the Wild are average. Matt Cullen has been on a tear of late and leads the team in goals with eight. Dany Heatley is helping out all-around while Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Mikko Koivu are taking the playmaking thing literally as both guys have nine assists and just one goal. Devin Setoguchi and Kyle Brodziak are also doing their part chipping in goals as well. Nothing mind blowing, just enough.
If you thought there weren’t enough marquee names there, just check out the defense. Clayton Stoner, Justin Falk, Jared Spurgeon, Nick Schultz, Nate Prosser? The one name is Marek Zidlicky and he’s known more for his offense than defense and he might be out of action for a bit with a concussion. If ever there was a team able to steal the “No Name Defense” nickname from the 1970s Miami Dolphins, this is it.
Who are these guys?
Somehow it’s all working right for coach Mike Yeo. Sure, things may not stay this way all season for Minnesota, but for now the wins are coming and they’re enjoying the ride. If Yeo can get them to the playoffs though, he’ll become a hero in the Twin Cities.
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 6
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 29
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 43
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 27
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41