Nov 16, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
It might be a bit early for something like this; however, since we all like lists, and we all like pointing out the failings of others even more, this list of the top 10 “free agent flops”, courtesy Adam Proteau of The Hockey News, is worth a read.
Proteau’s number-one UFA flop is no surprise – Buffalo’s Ville Leino.
Sabres owner Terry Pegula was one of the most aggressive players in unrestricted free agency, but it appears he and GM Darcy Regier were overly aggressive in signing the 28-year-old Leino to a six-year, $27-million deal. In return, Leino has flopped badly to begin his Buffalo career, with just two goals and four points in 17 games. That’s a nine-goal, 18-point pace – and at $4.5 million this season, that’s also incredibly awful.
Can’t say I have a serious problem with any of the 10 choices, though I’m not sure anyone expected much of Marty Reasoner (No. 10) when he signed with the Islanders.
I might’ve switched Reasoner for Kevin Bieksa. The Canucks defenseman has had a frustrating start to the season after signing a five-year, $23-million deal in June.
Ed Jovanovski deserves a mention, too. Florida signed the veteran blueliner to a four-year, $16.5-million deal on July 1 and hasn’t received much of a return on its investment.
If Steve Montador hadn’t scored twice for the Blackhawks on Sunday, he’d be another candidate.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 0
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 0
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (46)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)