Nov 16, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
It might be a bit early for something like this; however, since we all like lists, and we all like pointing out the failings of others even more, this list of the top 10 “free agent flops”, courtesy Adam Proteau of The Hockey News, is worth a read.
Proteau’s number-one UFA flop is no surprise – Buffalo’s Ville Leino.
Sabres owner Terry Pegula was one of the most aggressive players in unrestricted free agency, but it appears he and GM Darcy Regier were overly aggressive in signing the 28-year-old Leino to a six-year, $27-million deal. In return, Leino has flopped badly to begin his Buffalo career, with just two goals and four points in 17 games. That’s a nine-goal, 18-point pace – and at $4.5 million this season, that’s also incredibly awful.
Can’t say I have a serious problem with any of the 10 choices, though I’m not sure anyone expected much of Marty Reasoner (No. 10) when he signed with the Islanders.
I might’ve switched Reasoner for Kevin Bieksa. The Canucks defenseman has had a frustrating start to the season after signing a five-year, $23-million deal in June.
Ed Jovanovski deserves a mention, too. Florida signed the veteran blueliner to a four-year, $16.5-million deal on July 1 and hasn’t received much of a return on its investment.
If Steve Montador hadn’t scored twice for the Blackhawks on Sunday, he’d be another candidate.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)