Nov 16, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
It might be a bit early for something like this; however, since we all like lists, and we all like pointing out the failings of others even more, this list of the top 10 “free agent flops”, courtesy Adam Proteau of The Hockey News, is worth a read.
Proteau’s number-one UFA flop is no surprise – Buffalo’s Ville Leino.
Sabres owner Terry Pegula was one of the most aggressive players in unrestricted free agency, but it appears he and GM Darcy Regier were overly aggressive in signing the 28-year-old Leino to a six-year, $27-million deal. In return, Leino has flopped badly to begin his Buffalo career, with just two goals and four points in 17 games. That’s a nine-goal, 18-point pace – and at $4.5 million this season, that’s also incredibly awful.
Can’t say I have a serious problem with any of the 10 choices, though I’m not sure anyone expected much of Marty Reasoner (No. 10) when he signed with the Islanders.
I might’ve switched Reasoner for Kevin Bieksa. The Canucks defenseman has had a frustrating start to the season after signing a five-year, $23-million deal in June.
Ed Jovanovski deserves a mention, too. Florida signed the veteran blueliner to a four-year, $16.5-million deal on July 1 and hasn’t received much of a return on its investment.
If Steve Montador hadn’t scored twice for the Blackhawks on Sunday, he’d be another candidate.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)