Nov 16, 2011, 5:14 PM EST
It might be a bit early for something like this; however, since we all like lists, and we all like pointing out the failings of others even more, this list of the top 10 “free agent flops”, courtesy Adam Proteau of The Hockey News, is worth a read.
Proteau’s number-one UFA flop is no surprise – Buffalo’s Ville Leino.
Sabres owner Terry Pegula was one of the most aggressive players in unrestricted free agency, but it appears he and GM Darcy Regier were overly aggressive in signing the 28-year-old Leino to a six-year, $27-million deal. In return, Leino has flopped badly to begin his Buffalo career, with just two goals and four points in 17 games. That’s a nine-goal, 18-point pace – and at $4.5 million this season, that’s also incredibly awful.
Can’t say I have a serious problem with any of the 10 choices, though I’m not sure anyone expected much of Marty Reasoner (No. 10) when he signed with the Islanders.
I might’ve switched Reasoner for Kevin Bieksa. The Canucks defenseman has had a frustrating start to the season after signing a five-year, $23-million deal in June.
Ed Jovanovski deserves a mention, too. Florida signed the veteran blueliner to a four-year, $16.5-million deal on July 1 and hasn’t received much of a return on its investment.
If Steve Montador hadn’t scored twice for the Blackhawks on Sunday, he’d be another candidate.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 11
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 40
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)