Nov 16, 2011, 5:14 PM EDT
It might be a bit early for something like this; however, since we all like lists, and we all like pointing out the failings of others even more, this list of the top 10 “free agent flops”, courtesy Adam Proteau of The Hockey News, is worth a read.
Proteau’s number-one UFA flop is no surprise – Buffalo’s Ville Leino.
Sabres owner Terry Pegula was one of the most aggressive players in unrestricted free agency, but it appears he and GM Darcy Regier were overly aggressive in signing the 28-year-old Leino to a six-year, $27-million deal. In return, Leino has flopped badly to begin his Buffalo career, with just two goals and four points in 17 games. That’s a nine-goal, 18-point pace – and at $4.5 million this season, that’s also incredibly awful.
Can’t say I have a serious problem with any of the 10 choices, though I’m not sure anyone expected much of Marty Reasoner (No. 10) when he signed with the Islanders.
I might’ve switched Reasoner for Kevin Bieksa. The Canucks defenseman has had a frustrating start to the season after signing a five-year, $23-million deal in June.
Ed Jovanovski deserves a mention, too. Florida signed the veteran blueliner to a four-year, $16.5-million deal on July 1 and hasn’t received much of a return on its investment.
If Steve Montador hadn’t scored twice for the Blackhawks on Sunday, he’d be another candidate.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (80)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games