Nov 16, 2011, 1:26 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators’ experiment in bringing Nikita Filatov is looking like it’s coming to an end.
Yahoo and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov tweeted that Filatov is deciding between going to Russia or sticking it out in the AHL after being sent down by the Senators. Chesnokov reports that it’s up to the Sens if they want to let him go or not.
This time around, it might be best to just let the former Blue Jackets first-round pick to walk away and figure out if he wants to make it work in North America or not. Filatov has struggled against advanced competition in the NHL while doing ridiculous things to make AHL players look foolish when he’s had the motivation to do so. For Filatov, going back home might just be the best thing for him.
You never want to prematurely label a guy a “bust” but since being drafted in 2008 (sixth overall) Filatov’s attempts at establishing himself in the NHL have turned out to be both disappointing and frustrating all the same. The kid has a world of talent but either gets too frustrated with how the NHL plays or he had his development fully stunted by being rushed into the pros.
Either way, this might be the last we hear of Filatov for some time in North America.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)