Nov 16, 2011, 1:26 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators’ experiment in bringing Nikita Filatov is looking like it’s coming to an end.
Yahoo and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov tweeted that Filatov is deciding between going to Russia or sticking it out in the AHL after being sent down by the Senators. Chesnokov reports that it’s up to the Sens if they want to let him go or not.
This time around, it might be best to just let the former Blue Jackets first-round pick to walk away and figure out if he wants to make it work in North America or not. Filatov has struggled against advanced competition in the NHL while doing ridiculous things to make AHL players look foolish when he’s had the motivation to do so. For Filatov, going back home might just be the best thing for him.
You never want to prematurely label a guy a “bust” but since being drafted in 2008 (sixth overall) Filatov’s attempts at establishing himself in the NHL have turned out to be both disappointing and frustrating all the same. The kid has a world of talent but either gets too frustrated with how the NHL plays or he had his development fully stunted by being rushed into the pros.
Either way, this might be the last we hear of Filatov for some time in North America.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 18
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 48
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 39
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)