Nov 16, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ experiment in bringing Nikita Filatov is looking like it’s coming to an end.
Yahoo and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov tweeted that Filatov is deciding between going to Russia or sticking it out in the AHL after being sent down by the Senators. Chesnokov reports that it’s up to the Sens if they want to let him go or not.
This time around, it might be best to just let the former Blue Jackets first-round pick to walk away and figure out if he wants to make it work in North America or not. Filatov has struggled against advanced competition in the NHL while doing ridiculous things to make AHL players look foolish when he’s had the motivation to do so. For Filatov, going back home might just be the best thing for him.
You never want to prematurely label a guy a “bust” but since being drafted in 2008 (sixth overall) Filatov’s attempts at establishing himself in the NHL have turned out to be both disappointing and frustrating all the same. The kid has a world of talent but either gets too frustrated with how the NHL plays or he had his development fully stunted by being rushed into the pros.
Either way, this might be the last we hear of Filatov for some time in North America.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)