Nov 16, 2011, 1:26 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators’ experiment in bringing Nikita Filatov is looking like it’s coming to an end.
Yahoo and TSN’s Dmitry Chesnokov tweeted that Filatov is deciding between going to Russia or sticking it out in the AHL after being sent down by the Senators. Chesnokov reports that it’s up to the Sens if they want to let him go or not.
This time around, it might be best to just let the former Blue Jackets first-round pick to walk away and figure out if he wants to make it work in North America or not. Filatov has struggled against advanced competition in the NHL while doing ridiculous things to make AHL players look foolish when he’s had the motivation to do so. For Filatov, going back home might just be the best thing for him.
You never want to prematurely label a guy a “bust” but since being drafted in 2008 (sixth overall) Filatov’s attempts at establishing himself in the NHL have turned out to be both disappointing and frustrating all the same. The kid has a world of talent but either gets too frustrated with how the NHL plays or he had his development fully stunted by being rushed into the pros.
Either way, this might be the last we hear of Filatov for some time in North America.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 7
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 68
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 166
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (166)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)