Nov 16, 2011, 3:33 PM EST
When we last checked in with the Carolina Hurricanes, general manager Jim Rutherford was telling the media he wasn’t going to fire coach Paul Maurice over the team’s slow start.
However, Rutherford did warn that if things didn’t improve soon, he’d “probably be in a different frame of mind and answer those (coaching) questions differently.”
That was eight days ago.
Since then, the ‘Canes are 1-3-0, giving them an overall record of 6-9-3.
Only the Islanders and Blue Jackets have fewer points than Carolina.
The Hurricanes’ minus-17 goal differential is the second worse in the NHL, better than only Columbus (minus-25).
Carolina’s power play is terrible (12.3%, 26th in the NHL) and goalless in its last four games. The penalty kill looks good in comparison, but it’s still pretty bad (81.9%, 18th).
On the bright side, Eric Staal has shown signs of life the past two games, with a goal and two assists. Prior to that, Staal had just three goals and two assists in 16 games. His plus-minus remains the worst in the NHL, at minus-17.
The Hurricanes are in Montreal tonight to take on the Habs and former teammate Erik Cole, after which they return home to play Buffalo and Toronto on Friday and Sunday, respectively.
If the Maurice watch isn’t officially on now, it will be if they don’t get some results soon.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)