Nov 16, 2011, 3:33 PM EDT
When we last checked in with the Carolina Hurricanes, general manager Jim Rutherford was telling the media he wasn’t going to fire coach Paul Maurice over the team’s slow start.
However, Rutherford did warn that if things didn’t improve soon, he’d “probably be in a different frame of mind and answer those (coaching) questions differently.”
That was eight days ago.
Since then, the ‘Canes are 1-3-0, giving them an overall record of 6-9-3.
Only the Islanders and Blue Jackets have fewer points than Carolina.
The Hurricanes’ minus-17 goal differential is the second worse in the NHL, better than only Columbus (minus-25).
Carolina’s power play is terrible (12.3%, 26th in the NHL) and goalless in its last four games. The penalty kill looks good in comparison, but it’s still pretty bad (81.9%, 18th).
On the bright side, Eric Staal has shown signs of life the past two games, with a goal and two assists. Prior to that, Staal had just three goals and two assists in 16 games. His plus-minus remains the worst in the NHL, at minus-17.
The Hurricanes are in Montreal tonight to take on the Habs and former teammate Erik Cole, after which they return home to play Buffalo and Toronto on Friday and Sunday, respectively.
If the Maurice watch isn’t officially on now, it will be if they don’t get some results soon.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 12
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)