Nov 16, 2011, 9:59 AM EDT
TSN’s Darren Dreger had an interesting report this morning saying that an unnamed team made Toronto an offer for defenseman Cody Franson. Dreger tweeted that this team offered a player and a second-round draft pick for Franson.
We don’t ever doubt Dreger’s sources, the guy is plugged in and knows what’s up. Our question is: Why hasn’t Brian Burke already accepted this offer? Franson is in the dog house in a big way in Toronto and the Leafs have a bit of depth on the blue line. While the player they could get in return might be another defenseman, if it wasn’t they still have Keith Aulie, Matt Lashoff, and Korbinian Holzer in the AHL as depth filler.
(Update (10:25 a.m.): Chris Iorfida of CBC Sports notes to us that Lashoff is out six months after suffering a knee injury over the weekend. That’ll hurt the depth a bit.)
Franson has turned into a disappointment for Toronto after coming over in the lopsided deal with Nashville that saw the Leafs also pick up Matt Lombardi while sending away Brett Lebda. Franson hasn’t exactly worked out well going from complaining about not playing to not playing well when he was put in the lineup. If the Leafs can get that kind of return on a guy they’re not playing, it’s a surprise they haven’t already agreed to the deal.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)