Nov 16, 2011, 1:50 PM EST
TSN’s John Lu with the latest on Sidney Crosby: No. 87 won’t be playing in Tampa Bay tomorrow but will accompany the Penguins on their trip to Florida. Pittsburgh will play two games in the Sunshine State — in Tampa on Thursday, in Florida on Saturday — before returning to the Consol Energy Center for a three-game homestand against the Islanders, Blues and Senators.
We’ve spent an inordinate amount of time speculating which game will be Crosby’s debut. Many figured last night’s game against Colorado would’ve been the one (the Avs and Pens managed to put on an exciting show without Sid, mind you) but perhaps further perspective is needed.
Here are some things we know — or think we know — about the situation:
– Pens GM Ray Shero indicated he’d prefer Crosby make his return at home.
– Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune said the least ideal situation is for Crosby to return in a back-to-back scenario.
– The Pens don’t seem keen on making Crosby’s debut a dramatic narrative. They had opportunities to do that on Friday (home game against Dallas, best team in the West) and last night (home game, nationally televised on Versus and TSN2).
– Pittsburgh’s next back-to-back is Nov. 25 (vs. Ottawa) and Nov. 26 (at Montreal). So it’s unlikely either of those games will be the debut.
– After the three-game homestand, Pittsburgh hits the road:
Sat, Nov. 26 in Montreal
Tues, Nov. 29 in New York (Rangers)
Thurs, Dec. 1 in Washington
Sat, Dec. 3 in Carolina
Before coming back to Consol on Dec. 5 for a Monday night affair against the Bruins.
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)