Nov 16, 2011, 9:19 AM EDT
When Chris Stewart‘s phone rings at 11 a.m. ET today, he’d better pick it up because Brendan Shanahan would like to talk to him. The Blues forward is getting a talking to thanks to his dangerous shove from behind on Detroit’s Niklas Kronwall last night.
Stewart knocked Kronwall silly with the play and earned a five-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct for the hit. Working in Stewart’s favor for a slap on the wrist is that he has no history of dirty play and no prior suspensions. Working against him is that it’s Shanahan taking care of things and he does things how he sees fit.
With other shove from behind plays like this we’ve seen guys get sat down for a couple games at least regardless of their history of dangerous plays. On the upside for Stewart, the Blues didn’t allow a goal on the Wings’ five-minute power play and beat Detroit 2-1. That might be the one nice thing to say about this whole thing as it seems likely that Stewart is going to get dinged for a few games.
As for Kronwall, he missed the remainder of the first period after the hit but came back to play in the second and finished out the game.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 35
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 38
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0