Nov 16, 2011, 9:19 AM EDT
When Chris Stewart‘s phone rings at 11 a.m. ET today, he’d better pick it up because Brendan Shanahan would like to talk to him. The Blues forward is getting a talking to thanks to his dangerous shove from behind on Detroit’s Niklas Kronwall last night.
Stewart knocked Kronwall silly with the play and earned a five-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct for the hit. Working in Stewart’s favor for a slap on the wrist is that he has no history of dirty play and no prior suspensions. Working against him is that it’s Shanahan taking care of things and he does things how he sees fit.
With other shove from behind plays like this we’ve seen guys get sat down for a couple games at least regardless of their history of dangerous plays. On the upside for Stewart, the Blues didn’t allow a goal on the Wings’ five-minute power play and beat Detroit 2-1. That might be the one nice thing to say about this whole thing as it seems likely that Stewart is going to get dinged for a few games.
As for Kronwall, he missed the remainder of the first period after the hit but came back to play in the second and finished out the game.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)