Nov 16, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have a new minority owner, and he’s sort of a celebrity.
Canadian businessman W. Brett Wilson (the W stands for wealthy!) has purchased a five-percent stake in the Preds.
Despite making most of his fortune in the energy sector, Wilson is best known in Canada for his role on “Dragons’ Den,” the CBC show where entrepreneurs pitch investors on various businesses, some of which are so dumb everyone laughs.
Wilson was quick to alleviate any concerns he’s making the investment with an eye on moving the NHL team out of Nashville.
“Since the fall of 2007, I have owned a home in Nashville’s Werthan Mills’ Lofts and have been travelling there regularly for business and pleasure,” Wilson said in a statement. “Joining the Preds ownership group has been contemplated and studied for quite some time. The local owners and I are totally committed to keeping the NHL in Nashville. The business model, both on and off the ice, continues to evolve and improve, and I have been captivated by the market’s enthusiasm for our team. Now is the right time for me to join and contribute in my way in helping the organization continue growing from a contender into a Stanley Cup champion.”
Nashville’s ownership group remains largely comprised of local investors. And while Preds fans may remain wary of a Canadian owner, even a minority one, a cash injection could be just what the team needs to sign Ryan Suter and Shea Weber long term.
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 20
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 42
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 18
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 60
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 31
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 44
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 58
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Zuccarello: ‘I’m not a diver’ 50
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)