Nov 16, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have a new minority owner, and he’s sort of a celebrity.
Canadian businessman W. Brett Wilson (the W stands for wealthy!) has purchased a five-percent stake in the Preds.
Despite making most of his fortune in the energy sector, Wilson is best known in Canada for his role on “Dragons’ Den,” the CBC show where entrepreneurs pitch investors on various businesses, some of which are so dumb everyone laughs.
Wilson was quick to alleviate any concerns he’s making the investment with an eye on moving the NHL team out of Nashville.
“Since the fall of 2007, I have owned a home in Nashville’s Werthan Mills’ Lofts and have been travelling there regularly for business and pleasure,” Wilson said in a statement. “Joining the Preds ownership group has been contemplated and studied for quite some time. The local owners and I are totally committed to keeping the NHL in Nashville. The business model, both on and off the ice, continues to evolve and improve, and I have been captivated by the market’s enthusiasm for our team. Now is the right time for me to join and contribute in my way in helping the organization continue growing from a contender into a Stanley Cup champion.”
Nashville’s ownership group remains largely comprised of local investors. And while Preds fans may remain wary of a Canadian owner, even a minority one, a cash injection could be just what the team needs to sign Ryan Suter and Shea Weber long term.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)