Nov 16, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have a new minority owner, and he’s sort of a celebrity.
Canadian businessman W. Brett Wilson (the W stands for wealthy!) has purchased a five-percent stake in the Preds.
Despite making most of his fortune in the energy sector, Wilson is best known in Canada for his role on “Dragons’ Den,” the CBC show where entrepreneurs pitch investors on various businesses, some of which are so dumb everyone laughs.
Wilson was quick to alleviate any concerns he’s making the investment with an eye on moving the NHL team out of Nashville.
“Since the fall of 2007, I have owned a home in Nashville’s Werthan Mills’ Lofts and have been travelling there regularly for business and pleasure,” Wilson said in a statement. “Joining the Preds ownership group has been contemplated and studied for quite some time. The local owners and I are totally committed to keeping the NHL in Nashville. The business model, both on and off the ice, continues to evolve and improve, and I have been captivated by the market’s enthusiasm for our team. Now is the right time for me to join and contribute in my way in helping the organization continue growing from a contender into a Stanley Cup champion.”
Nashville’s ownership group remains largely comprised of local investors. And while Preds fans may remain wary of a Canadian owner, even a minority one, a cash injection could be just what the team needs to sign Ryan Suter and Shea Weber long term.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 45
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)