Nov 16, 2011, 6:23 PM EDT
The Nashville Predators have a new minority owner, and he’s sort of a celebrity.
Canadian businessman W. Brett Wilson (the W stands for wealthy!) has purchased a five-percent stake in the Preds.
Despite making most of his fortune in the energy sector, Wilson is best known in Canada for his role on “Dragons’ Den,” the CBC show where entrepreneurs pitch investors on various businesses, some of which are so dumb everyone laughs.
Wilson was quick to alleviate any concerns he’s making the investment with an eye on moving the NHL team out of Nashville.
“Since the fall of 2007, I have owned a home in Nashville’s Werthan Mills’ Lofts and have been travelling there regularly for business and pleasure,” Wilson said in a statement. “Joining the Preds ownership group has been contemplated and studied for quite some time. The local owners and I are totally committed to keeping the NHL in Nashville. The business model, both on and off the ice, continues to evolve and improve, and I have been captivated by the market’s enthusiasm for our team. Now is the right time for me to join and contribute in my way in helping the organization continue growing from a contender into a Stanley Cup champion.”
Nashville’s ownership group remains largely comprised of local investors. And while Preds fans may remain wary of a Canadian owner, even a minority one, a cash injection could be just what the team needs to sign Ryan Suter and Shea Weber long term.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 1
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 5
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 16
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 105
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (105)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)