Nov 16, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Earlier today the Toronto Star published a report that said Providence Equity Partners, a U.S. investment company, was interested in buying a large stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE), the parent company of the Maple Leafs (NHL), Marlies (AHL), Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), the Air Canada Centre and…a bunch of other stuff.
Around 80 percent of MLSE is owned by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, which announced it was shopping its stake almost a year ago.
Not so fast on the Star’s report, however, says a rival Toronto newspaper. The Globe and Mail cites sources that say a sale to Providence is unlikely.
If I were a betting man, I’d go with the Globe on this one. A U.S. investment company purchasing a stake in one of Canada’s cultural institutions (sad, but true) would cause an uproar. It might not reach Liverpool FC levels…
…because Tom Hicks and George Gillett did more than just own Liverpool – they totally screwed it up.
Still, a foreign owner isn’t ideal.
Besides, it doesn’t make any sense given the synergies a Canadian company could achieve by acquiring MLSE.
Yep, I just dropped a synergies on you. PHT is so corporate.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 27
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)