Nov 16, 2011, 12:18 PM EST
Earlier today the Toronto Star published a report that said Providence Equity Partners, a U.S. investment company, was interested in buying a large stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE), the parent company of the Maple Leafs (NHL), Marlies (AHL), Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), the Air Canada Centre and…a bunch of other stuff.
Around 80 percent of MLSE is owned by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, which announced it was shopping its stake almost a year ago.
Not so fast on the Star’s report, however, says a rival Toronto newspaper. The Globe and Mail cites sources that say a sale to Providence is unlikely.
If I were a betting man, I’d go with the Globe on this one. A U.S. investment company purchasing a stake in one of Canada’s cultural institutions (sad, but true) would cause an uproar. It might not reach Liverpool FC levels…
…because Tom Hicks and George Gillett did more than just own Liverpool – they totally screwed it up.
Still, a foreign owner isn’t ideal.
Besides, it doesn’t make any sense given the synergies a Canadian company could achieve by acquiring MLSE.
Yep, I just dropped a synergies on you. PHT is so corporate.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)