Nov 16, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Earlier today the Toronto Star published a report that said Providence Equity Partners, a U.S. investment company, was interested in buying a large stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE), the parent company of the Maple Leafs (NHL), Marlies (AHL), Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), the Air Canada Centre and…a bunch of other stuff.
Around 80 percent of MLSE is owned by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, which announced it was shopping its stake almost a year ago.
Not so fast on the Star’s report, however, says a rival Toronto newspaper. The Globe and Mail cites sources that say a sale to Providence is unlikely.
If I were a betting man, I’d go with the Globe on this one. A U.S. investment company purchasing a stake in one of Canada’s cultural institutions (sad, but true) would cause an uproar. It might not reach Liverpool FC levels…
…because Tom Hicks and George Gillett did more than just own Liverpool – they totally screwed it up.
Still, a foreign owner isn’t ideal.
Besides, it doesn’t make any sense given the synergies a Canadian company could achieve by acquiring MLSE.
Yep, I just dropped a synergies on you. PHT is so corporate.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 64
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)