Nov 16, 2011, 12:18 PM EST
Earlier today the Toronto Star published a report that said Providence Equity Partners, a U.S. investment company, was interested in buying a large stake in Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment (MLSE), the parent company of the Maple Leafs (NHL), Marlies (AHL), Raptors (NBA), Toronto FC (MLS), the Air Canada Centre and…a bunch of other stuff.
Around 80 percent of MLSE is owned by the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan, which announced it was shopping its stake almost a year ago.
Not so fast on the Star’s report, however, says a rival Toronto newspaper. The Globe and Mail cites sources that say a sale to Providence is unlikely.
If I were a betting man, I’d go with the Globe on this one. A U.S. investment company purchasing a stake in one of Canada’s cultural institutions (sad, but true) would cause an uproar. It might not reach Liverpool FC levels…
…because Tom Hicks and George Gillett did more than just own Liverpool – they totally screwed it up.
Still, a foreign owner isn’t ideal.
Besides, it doesn’t make any sense given the synergies a Canadian company could achieve by acquiring MLSE.
Yep, I just dropped a synergies on you. PHT is so corporate.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)