Nov 15, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Jakub Voracek, Philadelphia Flyers
The 22-year-old has seven points in his last four games, a stretch that began with a 3-point night against his old team, Columbus, on Nov. 5.
In case you forgot, Voracek was traded by the Blue Jackets to the Flyers in June along with a first-round pick (Sean Couturier) and a third-rounder, with Jeff Carter and his enormous contract coming back the other way.
Voracek admits he wants to show the Jackets they made a mistake by giving up on him. The seventh-overall pick from 2007 hasn’t forgotten his conditioning being called into question at the end of last season by Columbus coach Scott Arniel.
“I don’t think it’s right to talk about it in the papers,” Voracek told the Philadelphia Inquirer earlier this month. “It is what he said, but I have to disagree with him. I went to the (IIHF) world championships last year and I felt great – all tournament, which was almost in the end of May. It was a long season for me as well, and physically I felt great. But sometimes if you play bad, it doesn’t mean you’re out of shape. Like I said, it is what it is and I’ve got a new NHL life here.”
Here we see Voracek turning a puck over and feeding Talbot for the Flyers’ second goal in last night’s 5-3 victory over Carolina:
Jakub Voracek, everyone.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)