Nov 15, 2011, 5:08 PM EDT
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Jakub Voracek, Philadelphia Flyers
The 22-year-old has seven points in his last four games, a stretch that began with a 3-point night against his old team, Columbus, on Nov. 5.
In case you forgot, Voracek was traded by the Blue Jackets to the Flyers in June along with a first-round pick (Sean Couturier) and a third-rounder, with Jeff Carter and his enormous contract coming back the other way.
Voracek admits he wants to show the Jackets they made a mistake by giving up on him. The seventh-overall pick from 2007 hasn’t forgotten his conditioning being called into question at the end of last season by Columbus coach Scott Arniel.
“I don’t think it’s right to talk about it in the papers,” Voracek told the Philadelphia Inquirer earlier this month. “It is what he said, but I have to disagree with him. I went to the (IIHF) world championships last year and I felt great – all tournament, which was almost in the end of May. It was a long season for me as well, and physically I felt great. But sometimes if you play bad, it doesn’t mean you’re out of shape. Like I said, it is what it is and I’ve got a new NHL life here.”
Here we see Voracek turning a puck over and feeding Talbot for the Flyers’ second goal in last night’s 5-3 victory over Carolina:
Jakub Voracek, everyone.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 2
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 11
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)