Nov 15, 2011, 5:08 PM EST
Every Tuesday at PHT, we’ll pump a player’s tire. Because every player likes it when nice things are said about them.
This week’s tire pumpee: Jakub Voracek, Philadelphia Flyers
The 22-year-old has seven points in his last four games, a stretch that began with a 3-point night against his old team, Columbus, on Nov. 5.
In case you forgot, Voracek was traded by the Blue Jackets to the Flyers in June along with a first-round pick (Sean Couturier) and a third-rounder, with Jeff Carter and his enormous contract coming back the other way.
Voracek admits he wants to show the Jackets they made a mistake by giving up on him. The seventh-overall pick from 2007 hasn’t forgotten his conditioning being called into question at the end of last season by Columbus coach Scott Arniel.
“I don’t think it’s right to talk about it in the papers,” Voracek told the Philadelphia Inquirer earlier this month. “It is what he said, but I have to disagree with him. I went to the (IIHF) world championships last year and I felt great – all tournament, which was almost in the end of May. It was a long season for me as well, and physically I felt great. But sometimes if you play bad, it doesn’t mean you’re out of shape. Like I said, it is what it is and I’ve got a new NHL life here.”
Here we see Voracek turning a puck over and feeding Talbot for the Flyers’ second goal in last night’s 5-3 victory over Carolina:
Jakub Voracek, everyone.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5