Ryan Miller on teammates: “These guys in here have my back.”

Nov 15, 2011, 2:28 PM EDT

Ryan Miller AP

Buffalo Sabres goalies Ryan Miller has a sore neck and is experiencing headaches after colliding with Bruins forward Milan Lucic Saturday in Boston.

Miller met with the media today and spoke on a number of topics. The full audio of the interview can be found at BuffaloNews.com.

A brief rundown of what he had to say:

—-On the league’s decision not to suspend Lucic: “I’m disappointed, but it’s out of my control. I had my sound bite. You guys know how I feel. I don’t think that’s changed much. There are two sides to it, and they chose to go that direction.”

—-On the collision with Lucic: “I don’t think I was that far out of the net when you consider it was a free puck moving towards my crease, and I went to make a reasonable play on the puck.”

—-On the Bruins saying it wasn’t even a headshot: “I didn’t know they were all doctors…concussions are caused by many things…it doesn’t need to be a direct impact.”

—-On his teammates: “These guys in here have my back.”

—-On the way the Sabres should’ve responded: “Lucic’s a tough guy, what are you going to do? Try and hack him? Spear him? Cheapshot him? Then you’re no better than he is.”

—-On Lucic’s explanation for the collision: “Yeah, I’ve heard what he had to say. Do I buy it? I think he said what he had to say to avoid getting suspended…It’s the NHL, man — the guy can skate. He can stop, he can turn, he can pick his head up….If he didn’t see me, I don’t even know how that could happen.”

Miller also went on at length about how team matters are settled behind closed doors and not in front of the media, so I think it’s safe to assume there was plenty of discussion about this incident among Sabres players and coaches. What exactly was said we’ll have to leave to our imaginations.

1. bigkniht37 - Nov 15, 2011 at 2:50 PM

REALLY? so that baseball gladiator hack you made in his direction after you fell on your ass didn’t qualify as dropping to his level? nice try miller, don’t act like you’re such a class act, you really aren’t. as for your teammates having your back, clearly they don’t if your resident goon wouldn’t step up and fight with looch even though he was on the ice at the time of the ‘hit’

2. danphipps01 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Hey, guys! Remember when every article was about Roberto Luongo and it was fucking tedious and boring? =D

3. wez99 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Who’s gonna fight lucic that night??? No one!! Lucic did a bitch move, kaleta couldn’t fuck him up since he just got back from suspension, mccormik’s eye was fucked up already, so there’s 2 ppl right there that would have fucked that pussy up but had to step back due to NHL and injuries, gaustad is not a good fighter in the first place but should have done something, only if kassian was in the NHL, he would have had his ass embarrassed again in a fight, we will see how lucic fairs in the next game haha

• danphipps01 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM

Excuses, excuses. Where the fuck was Tyler Myers, then?

4. wez99 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:25 PM

And oh ya miller does have class, calling lucic a piece of shit was telling the truth, if he didn’t have class he would of said “it not lucic fault, he a clean player” lucic is known for cheap shots

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 15, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Lucic is known for cheap shots? He’s been suspended once, for one game, and it was in the playoffs. The guy does play close to the edge, but he’s damn good at it and is a generally an effective player. I guess people who forget hockey is a contact sport don’t like playing against guys like that

5. stakex - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:02 PM

They have your bad eh Miller? Well they sure as hell didn’t when Lucic ran your ass over and you were looking at the lights….

Look, I know Lucic is a big dude… and none of the Sabers around him at the time really had much of a chance in a fight against him. You know what though? You still drop the gloves in defense of your goalie, even if it means getting into a fight with a guy whos going to beat your face in. Make sure the league knows that no one is going to take a shot at your goalie without having to drop the gloves….. otherwise its going to happen again.

Its not open season on goalies simply becasue of this hit. It is however open season on Buffalo goalies since they failed to respond to the hit. For shame Buffalo, for shame.

6. polegojim - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Ryan – maybe they should check your head too while they’re at it.

You want to skate towards Lucic and race him to the puck??? You received the inevitable.

7. billyhoyle4real - Nov 15, 2011 at 4:46 PM

If Ruff doesn’t bring up Kassian for the Bruins game at the F’N Center I’ll be shocked and disappointed, not a far cry from the last time they met.

8. bostonianpride - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:37 PM

Miller: “I don’t think I was that far out of the net” REALLY? You were at damn the face-off circle. If you are gonna come out that far to a player skating full speed with his head down you have to expect certain consequences. Stop complaining! If you don’t wanna get hit go play a sport that has NO contact and stop being a lil bitch!!!!

9. lsxphotog - Nov 15, 2011 at 5:49 PM

Just as I said!!!

Yep.

10. govtminion - Nov 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Let’s be honest here. What’s Miller going to say, really? “Oh, the other guys? Yeah, thanks for nothing. I get run over by a 250-lb. meathead in a black jersey, and everyone stands around staring at their skates like I’m Daniel Sedin getting punched in the face or something.”

He’s saying everything that he should be saying as a pro athlete- team first, blah blah blah. I’d be willing to bet he’s singing a different tune in private.

And as someone else said earlier, perhaps more than any other Sabres player- where the fuck was Tyler Myers? A guy that big and tough, and he didn’t do anything more than give a Bruin a hug and call it a day on that? Please. Man up and go after Lucic- or SOMEONE anyway.

11. neelyisgod - Nov 15, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Not for nothing but Miller is a twat

12. crazemastercraze - Nov 15, 2011 at 7:48 PM

why don’t the Sabers go after DJ King from the Caps? He’s got NHL experience and they could get him for late pick. i really think they need a heavy weight enforcer. you can’t have a top five goalie like Miller and let him get run because teams view your team as a bunch of light weights(Detroit possibly being the exception).

13. donttouchthedirtypenny - Nov 15, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Miller whines and bitches to the media and fans all the time. He probably does the same to his teammates, so I wonder if he’s just not liked by his team very much and that’s why they didn’t react to the hit.

14. bbk1000 - Nov 15, 2011 at 8:10 PM

I’m more concerned about nobody noticing Miller’s physical resemblance to Jerry Seinfeld in this pic……..

I’m guessing both made a lot of money based on six or seven good years…

15. cdngolfer - Nov 15, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Hey wez99, you sound like you’re overflowing in class the way you get you’re point across

16. tilllman40 - Nov 15, 2011 at 11:12 PM

Aww poor miller , whiney bum jus like the gabres

Illegal hits are down -- but will it last?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches