Nov 15, 2011, 4:43 PM EST
There’s some buzz on the Twitter machine over this tweet from Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy:
(Soo Greyhounds = OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
Gustavsson has a .500 record, is allowing close to four goals a game and boasts a sub-par .878 save percentage. As such, he’s now parked behind Scrivens, who will make his third straight start tonight.
Not that Scrivens has soundly beaten The Monster for top spot. The 25-year-old rookie is 2-2-0 with a 3.21 GAA and .893 save percentage. He’s essentially the best of a bad situation.
As for Turco — he’s been out of the NHL since Chicago opted not to re-sign him following last season. His numbers with the ‘Hawks weren’t very good (11-11-3, 3.02 GAA, .897 save percentage) but he was credited with playing an integral role in the maturation of Chicago’s current No. 1, Corey Crawford.
“He was a great Blackhawk for us this year,” Chicago GM Stan Bowman told the Daily Herald back in May. “He came in early on when we needed him and played some big games for us. As the year went on and he wasn’t playing as much he was still a great Blackhawk. He proved to be a great mentor for Corey.”
In this light, Toronto’s interest in Turco makes sense. The Leafs need a veteran presence to step in and start some games and could also use a mentor for their trio of young netminders. Reimer’s 23, Scrivens is 25 and Gustavsson’s 27.
UPDATE: Brian Burke said the Leafs have no interest in Turco, according to another Sportsnet employee, Darren Millard. You’d think he and Brophy would’ve had a chat or something.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)