Nov 15, 2011, 4:43 PM EST
There’s some buzz on the Twitter machine over this tweet from Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy:
(Soo Greyhounds = OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
Gustavsson has a .500 record, is allowing close to four goals a game and boasts a sub-par .878 save percentage. As such, he’s now parked behind Scrivens, who will make his third straight start tonight.
Not that Scrivens has soundly beaten The Monster for top spot. The 25-year-old rookie is 2-2-0 with a 3.21 GAA and .893 save percentage. He’s essentially the best of a bad situation.
As for Turco — he’s been out of the NHL since Chicago opted not to re-sign him following last season. His numbers with the ‘Hawks weren’t very good (11-11-3, 3.02 GAA, .897 save percentage) but he was credited with playing an integral role in the maturation of Chicago’s current No. 1, Corey Crawford.
“He was a great Blackhawk for us this year,” Chicago GM Stan Bowman told the Daily Herald back in May. “He came in early on when we needed him and played some big games for us. As the year went on and he wasn’t playing as much he was still a great Blackhawk. He proved to be a great mentor for Corey.”
In this light, Toronto’s interest in Turco makes sense. The Leafs need a veteran presence to step in and start some games and could also use a mentor for their trio of young netminders. Reimer’s 23, Scrivens is 25 and Gustavsson’s 27.
UPDATE: Brian Burke said the Leafs have no interest in Turco, according to another Sportsnet employee, Darren Millard. You’d think he and Brophy would’ve had a chat or something.
- Marian Gaborik suffers broken collarbone in return to action 8
- Martin Jones improves to 8-0-0, ties NHL record 18
- Vermette gets hat trick, including late tying goal, OT winner 2
- GM Wilson: It’s too early to tell if Hertl’s season is done 26
- A month later, Martin Erat still wants to be traded 11
- Devils lose Brunner for at least four weeks 0
- Video: Ovechkin becomes sixth fastest player to 400 goals in Caps win 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 16
- Assault charges against Varlamov dropped 37
- Carlyle on HBO presence: ‘It’s not normal what we’re living right now’ 7
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (108)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (104)
- Orpik: First days after Thornton attack were ‘miserable’ (72)
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head (71)
- Video: Marchand taunts Canucks with championship miming (69)