Nov 15, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
There’s some buzz on the Twitter machine over this tweet from Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy:
(Soo Greyhounds = OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
Gustavsson has a .500 record, is allowing close to four goals a game and boasts a sub-par .878 save percentage. As such, he’s now parked behind Scrivens, who will make his third straight start tonight.
Not that Scrivens has soundly beaten The Monster for top spot. The 25-year-old rookie is 2-2-0 with a 3.21 GAA and .893 save percentage. He’s essentially the best of a bad situation.
As for Turco — he’s been out of the NHL since Chicago opted not to re-sign him following last season. His numbers with the ‘Hawks weren’t very good (11-11-3, 3.02 GAA, .897 save percentage) but he was credited with playing an integral role in the maturation of Chicago’s current No. 1, Corey Crawford.
“He was a great Blackhawk for us this year,” Chicago GM Stan Bowman told the Daily Herald back in May. “He came in early on when we needed him and played some big games for us. As the year went on and he wasn’t playing as much he was still a great Blackhawk. He proved to be a great mentor for Corey.”
In this light, Toronto’s interest in Turco makes sense. The Leafs need a veteran presence to step in and start some games and could also use a mentor for their trio of young netminders. Reimer’s 23, Scrivens is 25 and Gustavsson’s 27.
UPDATE: Brian Burke said the Leafs have no interest in Turco, according to another Sportsnet employee, Darren Millard. You’d think he and Brophy would’ve had a chat or something.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 6
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 21
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 39
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (39)