Nov 15, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
There’s some buzz on the Twitter machine over this tweet from Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy:
(Soo Greyhounds = OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
Gustavsson has a .500 record, is allowing close to four goals a game and boasts a sub-par .878 save percentage. As such, he’s now parked behind Scrivens, who will make his third straight start tonight.
Not that Scrivens has soundly beaten The Monster for top spot. The 25-year-old rookie is 2-2-0 with a 3.21 GAA and .893 save percentage. He’s essentially the best of a bad situation.
As for Turco — he’s been out of the NHL since Chicago opted not to re-sign him following last season. His numbers with the ‘Hawks weren’t very good (11-11-3, 3.02 GAA, .897 save percentage) but he was credited with playing an integral role in the maturation of Chicago’s current No. 1, Corey Crawford.
“He was a great Blackhawk for us this year,” Chicago GM Stan Bowman told the Daily Herald back in May. “He came in early on when we needed him and played some big games for us. As the year went on and he wasn’t playing as much he was still a great Blackhawk. He proved to be a great mentor for Corey.”
In this light, Toronto’s interest in Turco makes sense. The Leafs need a veteran presence to step in and start some games and could also use a mentor for their trio of young netminders. Reimer’s 23, Scrivens is 25 and Gustavsson’s 27.
UPDATE: Brian Burke said the Leafs have no interest in Turco, according to another Sportsnet employee, Darren Millard. You’d think he and Brophy would’ve had a chat or something.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)