Nov 15, 2011, 4:43 PM EDT
There’s some buzz on the Twitter machine over this tweet from Sportsnet’s Mike Brophy:
(Soo Greyhounds = OHL’s Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds)
Gustavsson has a .500 record, is allowing close to four goals a game and boasts a sub-par .878 save percentage. As such, he’s now parked behind Scrivens, who will make his third straight start tonight.
Not that Scrivens has soundly beaten The Monster for top spot. The 25-year-old rookie is 2-2-0 with a 3.21 GAA and .893 save percentage. He’s essentially the best of a bad situation.
As for Turco — he’s been out of the NHL since Chicago opted not to re-sign him following last season. His numbers with the ‘Hawks weren’t very good (11-11-3, 3.02 GAA, .897 save percentage) but he was credited with playing an integral role in the maturation of Chicago’s current No. 1, Corey Crawford.
“He was a great Blackhawk for us this year,” Chicago GM Stan Bowman told the Daily Herald back in May. “He came in early on when we needed him and played some big games for us. As the year went on and he wasn’t playing as much he was still a great Blackhawk. He proved to be a great mentor for Corey.”
In this light, Toronto’s interest in Turco makes sense. The Leafs need a veteran presence to step in and start some games and could also use a mentor for their trio of young netminders. Reimer’s 23, Scrivens is 25 and Gustavsson’s 27.
UPDATE: Brian Burke said the Leafs have no interest in Turco, according to another Sportsnet employee, Darren Millard. You’d think he and Brophy would’ve had a chat or something.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)