Nov 15, 2011, 2:58 PM EST
Today, Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo missed his second straight practice after tweaking his groin (depending on who you talk to — the club is calling it an upper-body injury) in Sunday’s a 4-1 win over the Islanders. This is worth noting as Luongo rarely misses practice — in fact, skipping yesterday’s optional skate was newsworthy in itself. (He usually participates in optional skates.)
Luongo suffered the injury cutting across his crease to stop a Mark Streit shot.
While highlight-reel in nature –
– the save proved costly.
The Vancouver Province is reporting that backup Cory Schneider is “expected” to get the start in Wednesday’s affair, which just so happens to be against Vancouver’s chief rival, the Chicago Blackhawks.
The ‘Hawks haven’t been to Rogers Arena since losing Game 7 of the Western Conference quarterfinal last year in dramatic fashion. That, teamed with the 6-2 whipping Vancouver laid on them last Sunday, should provide plenty of fuel for revenge.
But the latest installment of Canucks vs. Blackhawks will likely be missing Luongo, one of the rivalry’s central figures. If that’s the case, goaltending duties will fall to Schneider — which is a less compelling subplot, though not entirely uninteresting. The last time Schneider faced the Blackhawks was in Game 6 of last year’s playoff series, when he got a surprise start in Chicago ahead of the beleaguered Luongo. Schneider stopped 12 of 15 shots before leaving the game with leg cramps, paving the way for Luongo to re-enter the game (and lose in overtime.)
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 26
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 13
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 81
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)