Nov 15, 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
Today, Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo missed his second straight practice after tweaking his groin (depending on who you talk to — the club is calling it an upper-body injury) in Sunday’s a 4-1 win over the Islanders. This is worth noting as Luongo rarely misses practice — in fact, skipping yesterday’s optional skate was newsworthy in itself. (He usually participates in optional skates.)
Luongo suffered the injury cutting across his crease to stop a Mark Streit shot.
While highlight-reel in nature –
– the save proved costly.
The Vancouver Province is reporting that backup Cory Schneider is “expected” to get the start in Wednesday’s affair, which just so happens to be against Vancouver’s chief rival, the Chicago Blackhawks.
The ‘Hawks haven’t been to Rogers Arena since losing Game 7 of the Western Conference quarterfinal last year in dramatic fashion. That, teamed with the 6-2 whipping Vancouver laid on them last Sunday, should provide plenty of fuel for revenge.
But the latest installment of Canucks vs. Blackhawks will likely be missing Luongo, one of the rivalry’s central figures. If that’s the case, goaltending duties will fall to Schneider — which is a less compelling subplot, though not entirely uninteresting. The last time Schneider faced the Blackhawks was in Game 6 of last year’s playoff series, when he got a surprise start in Chicago ahead of the beleaguered Luongo. Schneider stopped 12 of 15 shots before leaving the game with leg cramps, paving the way for Luongo to re-enter the game (and lose in overtime.)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)