Nov 15, 2011, 2:58 PM EST
Today, Vancouver Canucks goaltender Roberto Luongo missed his second straight practice after tweaking his groin (depending on who you talk to — the club is calling it an upper-body injury) in Sunday’s a 4-1 win over the Islanders. This is worth noting as Luongo rarely misses practice — in fact, skipping yesterday’s optional skate was newsworthy in itself. (He usually participates in optional skates.)
Luongo suffered the injury cutting across his crease to stop a Mark Streit shot.
While highlight-reel in nature –
– the save proved costly.
The Vancouver Province is reporting that backup Cory Schneider is “expected” to get the start in Wednesday’s affair, which just so happens to be against Vancouver’s chief rival, the Chicago Blackhawks.
The ‘Hawks haven’t been to Rogers Arena since losing Game 7 of the Western Conference quarterfinal last year in dramatic fashion. That, teamed with the 6-2 whipping Vancouver laid on them last Sunday, should provide plenty of fuel for revenge.
But the latest installment of Canucks vs. Blackhawks will likely be missing Luongo, one of the rivalry’s central figures. If that’s the case, goaltending duties will fall to Schneider — which is a less compelling subplot, though not entirely uninteresting. The last time Schneider faced the Blackhawks was in Game 6 of last year’s playoff series, when he got a surprise start in Chicago ahead of the beleaguered Luongo. Schneider stopped 12 of 15 shots before leaving the game with leg cramps, paving the way for Luongo to re-enter the game (and lose in overtime.)
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35