Nov 15, 2011, 9:38 AM EDT
The kind of thing Jaromir Jagr and Claude Giroux have working this season is something fun and special to watch. Jagr started the preseason off comparing Giroux’s skills to that of Mario Lemieux and while we were all pretty quick to write that off as teammate tire pumping, the way the two are playing together makes you wonder if there’s more than a little truth to that.
After beating Carolina last night, Jagr was again eager to praise Giroux for what he’s doing this season.
“I love to play with him,” Jagr said. “I think he’s the top – I don’t want to say he’s the best right now in the league, but he’s top three for sure. I never thought at the end of my career I was going to play with a guy like that. And that’s what’s made me happy.”
Keeping 68 happy is a good thing to do given his past and history of being mercurial in nature. At 39 years-old now, Jagr probably doesn’t have time to be moody and he’s enjoying the ride with the Flyers this season. And why not? The team is the highest scoring team in the league and Jagr is having a lot to do with that. Giroux, however, is the straw that stirs the drink in Philly. Good thing those two are on the same line.
It’s nice to see that Jagr could find someone new to bond with after his buddy Michael Nylander didn’t make the cut in preseason. You have to sometimes worry about those older guys and whether they’ll find a new guy to roll with. If Jagr and Giroux continue like this they might get to drink from the Stanley Cup at the end of the year.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 9
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 19
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4