Nov 15, 2011, 9:38 AM EDT
The kind of thing Jaromir Jagr and Claude Giroux have working this season is something fun and special to watch. Jagr started the preseason off comparing Giroux’s skills to that of Mario Lemieux and while we were all pretty quick to write that off as teammate tire pumping, the way the two are playing together makes you wonder if there’s more than a little truth to that.
After beating Carolina last night, Jagr was again eager to praise Giroux for what he’s doing this season.
“I love to play with him,” Jagr said. “I think he’s the top – I don’t want to say he’s the best right now in the league, but he’s top three for sure. I never thought at the end of my career I was going to play with a guy like that. And that’s what’s made me happy.”
Keeping 68 happy is a good thing to do given his past and history of being mercurial in nature. At 39 years-old now, Jagr probably doesn’t have time to be moody and he’s enjoying the ride with the Flyers this season. And why not? The team is the highest scoring team in the league and Jagr is having a lot to do with that. Giroux, however, is the straw that stirs the drink in Philly. Good thing those two are on the same line.
It’s nice to see that Jagr could find someone new to bond with after his buddy Michael Nylander didn’t make the cut in preseason. You have to sometimes worry about those older guys and whether they’ll find a new guy to roll with. If Jagr and Giroux continue like this they might get to drink from the Stanley Cup at the end of the year.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)