Nov 15, 2011, 9:38 AM EST
The kind of thing Jaromir Jagr and Claude Giroux have working this season is something fun and special to watch. Jagr started the preseason off comparing Giroux’s skills to that of Mario Lemieux and while we were all pretty quick to write that off as teammate tire pumping, the way the two are playing together makes you wonder if there’s more than a little truth to that.
After beating Carolina last night, Jagr was again eager to praise Giroux for what he’s doing this season.
“I love to play with him,” Jagr said. “I think he’s the top – I don’t want to say he’s the best right now in the league, but he’s top three for sure. I never thought at the end of my career I was going to play with a guy like that. And that’s what’s made me happy.”
Keeping 68 happy is a good thing to do given his past and history of being mercurial in nature. At 39 years-old now, Jagr probably doesn’t have time to be moody and he’s enjoying the ride with the Flyers this season. And why not? The team is the highest scoring team in the league and Jagr is having a lot to do with that. Giroux, however, is the straw that stirs the drink in Philly. Good thing those two are on the same line.
It’s nice to see that Jagr could find someone new to bond with after his buddy Michael Nylander didn’t make the cut in preseason. You have to sometimes worry about those older guys and whether they’ll find a new guy to roll with. If Jagr and Giroux continue like this they might get to drink from the Stanley Cup at the end of the year.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)