Nov 15, 2011, 9:38 AM EDT
The kind of thing Jaromir Jagr and Claude Giroux have working this season is something fun and special to watch. Jagr started the preseason off comparing Giroux’s skills to that of Mario Lemieux and while we were all pretty quick to write that off as teammate tire pumping, the way the two are playing together makes you wonder if there’s more than a little truth to that.
After beating Carolina last night, Jagr was again eager to praise Giroux for what he’s doing this season.
“I love to play with him,” Jagr said. “I think he’s the top – I don’t want to say he’s the best right now in the league, but he’s top three for sure. I never thought at the end of my career I was going to play with a guy like that. And that’s what’s made me happy.”
Keeping 68 happy is a good thing to do given his past and history of being mercurial in nature. At 39 years-old now, Jagr probably doesn’t have time to be moody and he’s enjoying the ride with the Flyers this season. And why not? The team is the highest scoring team in the league and Jagr is having a lot to do with that. Giroux, however, is the straw that stirs the drink in Philly. Good thing those two are on the same line.
It’s nice to see that Jagr could find someone new to bond with after his buddy Michael Nylander didn’t make the cut in preseason. You have to sometimes worry about those older guys and whether they’ll find a new guy to roll with. If Jagr and Giroux continue like this they might get to drink from the Stanley Cup at the end of the year.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 9
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 19
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 40
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 64
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (101)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)