Nov 15, 2011, 9:38 AM EDT
The kind of thing Jaromir Jagr and Claude Giroux have working this season is something fun and special to watch. Jagr started the preseason off comparing Giroux’s skills to that of Mario Lemieux and while we were all pretty quick to write that off as teammate tire pumping, the way the two are playing together makes you wonder if there’s more than a little truth to that.
After beating Carolina last night, Jagr was again eager to praise Giroux for what he’s doing this season.
“I love to play with him,” Jagr said. “I think he’s the top – I don’t want to say he’s the best right now in the league, but he’s top three for sure. I never thought at the end of my career I was going to play with a guy like that. And that’s what’s made me happy.”
Keeping 68 happy is a good thing to do given his past and history of being mercurial in nature. At 39 years-old now, Jagr probably doesn’t have time to be moody and he’s enjoying the ride with the Flyers this season. And why not? The team is the highest scoring team in the league and Jagr is having a lot to do with that. Giroux, however, is the straw that stirs the drink in Philly. Good thing those two are on the same line.
It’s nice to see that Jagr could find someone new to bond with after his buddy Michael Nylander didn’t make the cut in preseason. You have to sometimes worry about those older guys and whether they’ll find a new guy to roll with. If Jagr and Giroux continue like this they might get to drink from the Stanley Cup at the end of the year.
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 22
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 5
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 17