Nov 15, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
Flyers chairman Ed Snider is a man who would know things and he tells CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio that total realignment is on its way to the NHL.
What Snider means by that is that he believes the NHL will adopt a four conference setup, much like has been discussed already, only this time around he says that all traditional rivals will be kept together including the Flyers and Penguins.
In case you’d forgotten, the last realignment proposal that was leaked had the two in different divisions meaning they wouldn’t play each other quite so often, a solution that had both teams upset about things.
So where does that bring things? CBC’s Elliotte Friedman wrote in his 30 Thoughts column that when the GMs get together in early December they’ll have plenty to chew on about realignment. They’ll also discuss a potential change to how the playoffs are handled. One proposal has it so that the final four teams would be re-seeded so the top team would face the worst of the four regardless of conference. It’s curious, but tough to see teams buying into that one enough to approve it.
If teams are broken up in four conferences with a balanced schedule, however, and not broken up necessarily by East and West, just about anything can go. We could be in for a bold new future.
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 0
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 19
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)