Nov 15, 2011, 6:28 PM EST
The “Did You Know?” series ties in the news of the day with some little-known hockey factoids and/or trivia. It’ll be fun. Trust me.
In 2003-04, the London Knights won 53 games but lost in the OHL Conference Finals.
In 2004-05, they won 59 games and the Memorial Cup.
Those two teams are considered one of the greatest collections of talent ever assembled at the junior level. If you never got a chance to see the Knights play, don’t worry — just pay attention to the NHL over the next couple of nights. You’ll see plenty of them.
Then there are the ex-Knights that were once in the NHL now playing in the minors or Europe, a list that includes Robbie Schremp, Danny Bois, Danny Richmond, Dan Syvret, Dan Fritsche, Drew Larman and Bryan Rodney.
As you can imagine, the Knights were a force to be reckoned with. They won CBC’s Team of the Year on the strength of some truly amazing feats: a 31-game unbeaten streak, a 59-win regular season and a 16-2 record in the playoffs, which included outright domination at the Memorial Cup. The Knights went a perfect 3-0 in round-robin play (outscoring opponents 13-7) before crushing Sidney Crosby and the Rimouski Oceanic 4-0 in the final.
“The London Knights are one of the greatest junior teams ever to play,” Canadian Hockey League president David Branch said following the Memorial Cup win.
Looking around the NHL, it’s hard to disagree.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 13
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 2
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 77
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2