Nov 15, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
The “Did You Know?” series ties in the news of the day with some little-known hockey factoids and/or trivia. It’ll be fun. Trust me.
In 2003-04, the London Knights won 53 games but lost in the OHL Conference Finals.
In 2004-05, they won 59 games and the Memorial Cup.
Those two teams are considered one of the greatest collections of talent ever assembled at the junior level. If you never got a chance to see the Knights play, don’t worry — just pay attention to the NHL over the next couple of nights. You’ll see plenty of them.
Then there are the ex-Knights that were once in the NHL now playing in the minors or Europe, a list that includes Robbie Schremp, Danny Bois, Danny Richmond, Dan Syvret, Dan Fritsche, Drew Larman and Bryan Rodney.
As you can imagine, the Knights were a force to be reckoned with. They won CBC’s Team of the Year on the strength of some truly amazing feats: a 31-game unbeaten streak, a 59-win regular season and a 16-2 record in the playoffs, which included outright domination at the Memorial Cup. The Knights went a perfect 3-0 in round-robin play (outscoring opponents 13-7) before crushing Sidney Crosby and the Rimouski Oceanic 4-0 in the final.
“The London Knights are one of the greatest junior teams ever to play,” Canadian Hockey League president David Branch said following the Memorial Cup win.
Looking around the NHL, it’s hard to disagree.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires