Nov 15, 2011, 6:28 PM EDT
The “Did You Know?” series ties in the news of the day with some little-known hockey factoids and/or trivia. It’ll be fun. Trust me.
In 2003-04, the London Knights won 53 games but lost in the OHL Conference Finals.
In 2004-05, they won 59 games and the Memorial Cup.
Those two teams are considered one of the greatest collections of talent ever assembled at the junior level. If you never got a chance to see the Knights play, don’t worry — just pay attention to the NHL over the next couple of nights. You’ll see plenty of them.
Then there are the ex-Knights that were once in the NHL now playing in the minors or Europe, a list that includes Robbie Schremp, Danny Bois, Danny Richmond, Dan Syvret, Dan Fritsche, Drew Larman and Bryan Rodney.
As you can imagine, the Knights were a force to be reckoned with. They won CBC’s Team of the Year on the strength of some truly amazing feats: a 31-game unbeaten streak, a 59-win regular season and a 16-2 record in the playoffs, which included outright domination at the Memorial Cup. The Knights went a perfect 3-0 in round-robin play (outscoring opponents 13-7) before crushing Sidney Crosby and the Rimouski Oceanic 4-0 in the final.
“The London Knights are one of the greatest junior teams ever to play,” Canadian Hockey League president David Branch said following the Memorial Cup win.
Looking around the NHL, it’s hard to disagree.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 9
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 53
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 16
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)