Nov 14, 2011, 11:44 AM EDT
After registering six points and two game-winning goals in three games, Boston Bruins center Tyler Seguin has been named the NHL’s First Star of the Week. Last week, the 19-year-old sophomore sensation scored four goals and added two assists and now leads all Bruins in scoring (20PTS) — making him and Carolina’s Jeff Skinner the only teenagers currently leading their teams in scoring.
Seguin also leads the NHL in plus-minus (+14), is tied for second in game-winning goals and was left off the NHL All-Star ballot in favor of RJ Umberger.
The second star of the week went to Detroit’s Jimmy Howard. Jimmy posted a 3-0-0 record, 1.33 GAA and .948 save percentage with stellar efforts against the Avalanche, Oilers and Stars. Jimmy stopped 73 of 77 shots faced and notched his eighth career shutout against Edmonton. Jimmy now ranks in the top six in wins, goals-against average, save percentage and shutouts.
Jimmy is also not on the NHL All-Star ballot, but Jaroslav Halak is. Jimmy remains perplexed by this.
Third star went to Chicago Blackhawks center Jonathan Toews. Captain Serious matched Seguin’s point total (4G-2A-6PTS) but did it over a four game span, registering both his first multi-goal and three point outing of the season in a 6-3 win over the Columbus
Terribles Blue Jackets. Toews now leads all Blackhawks in goals (nine) and is the top faceoff man in the NHL (61 percent).
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)