Nov 14, 2011, 8:31 AM EDT
So just what are we going to get out of the Buffalo Sabres tonight?
It stands to reason that we’ll, at the very least, get a team that comes out with a purpose of mending as many errors as possible for their embarrassing loss to Boston against the Montreal Canadiens tonight. By all accounts, coach Lindy Ruff read his team the riot act during and after practice yesterday and the press didn’t get the full brunt of his wrath.
By all accounts, the guys you should see tougher games out of are the guys you’d think would’ve shown up against Boston, namely Paul Gaustad and Patrick Kaleta. While Kaleta is an agitator by trade, Gaustad is the guy that brings the “tough cop” routine. While Kaleta managed to do part of his job, Gaustad didn’t.
The more curious part to this equation is how will Montreal receive them? P.K. Subban is about as good at getting under his opponents’ skin as Kaleta is and while he’s not nearly as dangerous, seeing Subban “poking the bear” tonight could prove to be the spark that ignites an inferno with the Sabres.
The Habs know they’ve got an angry team rolling into town and while their kind of game isn’t at all like Boston’s, let’s just say that rolling through Jhonas Enroth‘s crease might not be in their best interests. For goal hangers like Travis Moen and Brian Gionta, giving Enroth any kind of bumps might not turn out well for Carey Price or themselves. The Sabres’ mistake of not responding for Ryan Miller isn’t one that’ll be repeated any time soon.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)