Nov 14, 2011, 10:11 AM EDT
Trade rumors are usually a fun exercise in toeing the line between truth and fantasy. With all the talk of late about how Rene Bourque was a possible trade candidate in Calgary, it turns out the rumors of his availability were more fiction than anything else.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun hears from Flames GM Jay Feaster that trading a guy like Bourque with his kind of contract is a lot more difficult to do these days than it would’ve been before the salary cap.
So you mean that trading Bourque for Kyle Turris isn’t going to happen? Well, shoot. There goes all those hopes and dreams.
According to CapGeek.com, Bourque’s got four seasons after this one with a $3.3 million cap hit. While Bourque is a solid power forward with a goal scoring knack, that kind of deal demands that he be a 30-goal threat each and every year to justify that kind of money. Becoming a 40-point per season guy makes a contract like that a nightmare to have on your cap.
That said, Bourque is one of a few guys on the Flames capable of being a consistent scorer and dealing him off if they couldn’t get a solid return would be even more troubling for the moribund Flames. As far as we can tell, Jay Feaster would like to keep his job rather than give it away. If Bourque is going to be traded, he’ll have to make it a mutually beneficial deal unlike say… The Dion Phaneuf trade.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 29
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)