Nov 14, 2011, 10:11 AM EST
Trade rumors are usually a fun exercise in toeing the line between truth and fantasy. With all the talk of late about how Rene Bourque was a possible trade candidate in Calgary, it turns out the rumors of his availability were more fiction than anything else.
Eric Francis of the Calgary Sun hears from Flames GM Jay Feaster that trading a guy like Bourque with his kind of contract is a lot more difficult to do these days than it would’ve been before the salary cap.
So you mean that trading Bourque for Kyle Turris isn’t going to happen? Well, shoot. There goes all those hopes and dreams.
According to CapGeek.com, Bourque’s got four seasons after this one with a $3.3 million cap hit. While Bourque is a solid power forward with a goal scoring knack, that kind of deal demands that he be a 30-goal threat each and every year to justify that kind of money. Becoming a 40-point per season guy makes a contract like that a nightmare to have on your cap.
That said, Bourque is one of a few guys on the Flames capable of being a consistent scorer and dealing him off if they couldn’t get a solid return would be even more troubling for the moribund Flames. As far as we can tell, Jay Feaster would like to keep his job rather than give it away. If Bourque is going to be traded, he’ll have to make it a mutually beneficial deal unlike say… The Dion Phaneuf trade.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)