Nov 14, 2011, 2:08 PM EST
Ruff did have plenty to say about the hit that concussed Miller.
“If he isn’t suspended, it just means teams will be able to do exactly what Lucic did,” Ruff told WIVB. “Your goaltender can play the puck, we can run them over, we can hurt them, and all you get is a two minute minor penalty. You can concuss the goaltender, make no attempt to get out of the way, and it’s fair game on goaltenders.”
Ruff also added that the lack of response from Miller’s teammates — including the passive approach employed by defenseman Tyler Myers, who (not coincidentally) is a healthy scratch tonight — saying that the issue has been dealt with and that he hopes it makes the Sabres a better team.
So, how was it dealt with?
Sabres center Paul Gaustad told reporters today the team apologized to Miller and vowed not to let it happen again. Gaustad has emerged as a key figure in this situation; he was on the ice for the hit and one of the first players to call out himself and teammates for their lack of response. Lindy Ruff then subtly called out Gaustad (“Paul was on the ice,” he reminded reporters) and Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News points out that Gaustad is probably Miller’s best and longest-term friend on the club. The two have been teammates since 2002.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 0
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 6
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)