Nov 14, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
Ruff did have plenty to say about the hit that concussed Miller.
“If he isn’t suspended, it just means teams will be able to do exactly what Lucic did,” Ruff told WIVB. “Your goaltender can play the puck, we can run them over, we can hurt them, and all you get is a two minute minor penalty. You can concuss the goaltender, make no attempt to get out of the way, and it’s fair game on goaltenders.”
Ruff also added that the lack of response from Miller’s teammates — including the passive approach employed by defenseman Tyler Myers, who (not coincidentally) is a healthy scratch tonight — saying that the issue has been dealt with and that he hopes it makes the Sabres a better team.
So, how was it dealt with?
Sabres center Paul Gaustad told reporters today the team apologized to Miller and vowed not to let it happen again. Gaustad has emerged as a key figure in this situation; he was on the ice for the hit and one of the first players to call out himself and teammates for their lack of response. Lindy Ruff then subtly called out Gaustad (“Paul was on the ice,” he reminded reporters) and Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News points out that Gaustad is probably Miller’s best and longest-term friend on the club. The two have been teammates since 2002.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 27
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 26
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)