Nov 14, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
Ruff did have plenty to say about the hit that concussed Miller.
“If he isn’t suspended, it just means teams will be able to do exactly what Lucic did,” Ruff told WIVB. “Your goaltender can play the puck, we can run them over, we can hurt them, and all you get is a two minute minor penalty. You can concuss the goaltender, make no attempt to get out of the way, and it’s fair game on goaltenders.”
Ruff also added that the lack of response from Miller’s teammates — including the passive approach employed by defenseman Tyler Myers, who (not coincidentally) is a healthy scratch tonight — saying that the issue has been dealt with and that he hopes it makes the Sabres a better team.
So, how was it dealt with?
Sabres center Paul Gaustad told reporters today the team apologized to Miller and vowed not to let it happen again. Gaustad has emerged as a key figure in this situation; he was on the ice for the hit and one of the first players to call out himself and teammates for their lack of response. Lindy Ruff then subtly called out Gaustad (“Paul was on the ice,” he reminded reporters) and Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News points out that Gaustad is probably Miller’s best and longest-term friend on the club. The two have been teammates since 2002.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)