Nov 14, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
Ruff did have plenty to say about the hit that concussed Miller.
“If he isn’t suspended, it just means teams will be able to do exactly what Lucic did,” Ruff told WIVB. “Your goaltender can play the puck, we can run them over, we can hurt them, and all you get is a two minute minor penalty. You can concuss the goaltender, make no attempt to get out of the way, and it’s fair game on goaltenders.”
Ruff also added that the lack of response from Miller’s teammates — including the passive approach employed by defenseman Tyler Myers, who (not coincidentally) is a healthy scratch tonight — saying that the issue has been dealt with and that he hopes it makes the Sabres a better team.
So, how was it dealt with?
Sabres center Paul Gaustad told reporters today the team apologized to Miller and vowed not to let it happen again. Gaustad has emerged as a key figure in this situation; he was on the ice for the hit and one of the first players to call out himself and teammates for their lack of response. Lindy Ruff then subtly called out Gaustad (“Paul was on the ice,” he reminded reporters) and Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News points out that Gaustad is probably Miller’s best and longest-term friend on the club. The two have been teammates since 2002.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 8
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 8
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 25
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)