Nov 14, 2011, 2:08 PM EDT
Ruff did have plenty to say about the hit that concussed Miller.
“If he isn’t suspended, it just means teams will be able to do exactly what Lucic did,” Ruff told WIVB. “Your goaltender can play the puck, we can run them over, we can hurt them, and all you get is a two minute minor penalty. You can concuss the goaltender, make no attempt to get out of the way, and it’s fair game on goaltenders.”
Ruff also added that the lack of response from Miller’s teammates — including the passive approach employed by defenseman Tyler Myers, who (not coincidentally) is a healthy scratch tonight — saying that the issue has been dealt with and that he hopes it makes the Sabres a better team.
So, how was it dealt with?
Sabres center Paul Gaustad told reporters today the team apologized to Miller and vowed not to let it happen again. Gaustad has emerged as a key figure in this situation; he was on the ice for the hit and one of the first players to call out himself and teammates for their lack of response. Lindy Ruff then subtly called out Gaustad (“Paul was on the ice,” he reminded reporters) and Mike Harrington of the Buffalo News points out that Gaustad is probably Miller’s best and longest-term friend on the club. The two have been teammates since 2002.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)