Nov 14, 2011, 12:22 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers embarked on their six-game road trip with a 7-2-2 record. After two wins and four losses, they came back 9-6-2, losing their last three by a combined score of 15-6.
So is that it for the Oilers? Fun while it lasted? They are who we thought they were?
Tough to say. Dropping three straight in Boston, Detroit and Chicago could happen to any team, especially on the tail end of a long trip. The Oilers did get wins in Los Angeles and Montreal.
Coach Tom Renney had some harsh words for his team after Sunday’s 6-3 loss to the Blackhawks.
“Awful,” Renney said. “No sustained battle level, no forecheck, we weren’t heavy on our own sticks. We scored three goals and should have been in the hockey game because of it and didn’t do it. I don’t think they realize yet what it takes to win on a nightly basis.”
The Oilers have a few days to recuperate, regroup and get yelled at in practice. Thursday they host Ottawa, Saturday Chicago comes to town. Then it’s another extended trip – a four-gamer in Dallas, Nashville, Minnesota and Colorado.
Will Edmonton use the last three games as motivation? Or were the last three games the start of a tailspin that will end in another high draft pick?
“Maybe we got a little ahead of ourselves,” said defenseman Tom Gilbert. “We have to find a way to get back to the way we were playing, where we were good defensively, where guys were in the right spot.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)