Nov 14, 2011, 12:22 PM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers embarked on their six-game road trip with a 7-2-2 record. After two wins and four losses, they came back 9-6-2, losing their last three by a combined score of 15-6.
So is that it for the Oilers? Fun while it lasted? They are who we thought they were?
Tough to say. Dropping three straight in Boston, Detroit and Chicago could happen to any team, especially on the tail end of a long trip. The Oilers did get wins in Los Angeles and Montreal.
Coach Tom Renney had some harsh words for his team after Sunday’s 6-3 loss to the Blackhawks.
“Awful,” Renney said. “No sustained battle level, no forecheck, we weren’t heavy on our own sticks. We scored three goals and should have been in the hockey game because of it and didn’t do it. I don’t think they realize yet what it takes to win on a nightly basis.”
The Oilers have a few days to recuperate, regroup and get yelled at in practice. Thursday they host Ottawa, Saturday Chicago comes to town. Then it’s another extended trip – a four-gamer in Dallas, Nashville, Minnesota and Colorado.
Will Edmonton use the last three games as motivation? Or were the last three games the start of a tailspin that will end in another high draft pick?
“Maybe we got a little ahead of ourselves,” said defenseman Tom Gilbert. “We have to find a way to get back to the way we were playing, where we were good defensively, where guys were in the right spot.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)