Nov 14, 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
Decimated by injury for most of the year, the Montreal Canadiens finally got some good news on that front as defenseman Andrei Markov practiced for the first time since undergoing knee surgery. Markov, who hasn’t played a game this season, spent an hour practicing with teammates (while wearing a non-contact jersey) and nearly a half hour skating with Montreal assistant coaches.
“We haven’t established a timeline for his return but it’s encouraging to see him skating with the team,” coach Jacques Martin told NHL.com. “We’ll see if he skates tomorrow.”
Getting Markov back would be a major boost for the Habs and their anemic powerplay. When healthy, he’s one of the NHL’s premier specialists with the man advantage — in 2008-09 he finished in 39 PP points, one less than Sidney Crosby — but staying healthy has been a major issue over the last three years. He missed nearly half of the 2009-10 season with a lacerated ankle, only to come back and tear his ACL in the playoffs.
Last year, he missed all but seven games after tearing his ACL again and — after undergoing surgery in Dec. 2010 — has found it extremely difficult rehabbing the knee to full strength.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)