Nov 14, 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
Decimated by injury for most of the year, the Montreal Canadiens finally got some good news on that front as defenseman Andrei Markov practiced for the first time since undergoing knee surgery. Markov, who hasn’t played a game this season, spent an hour practicing with teammates (while wearing a non-contact jersey) and nearly a half hour skating with Montreal assistant coaches.
“We haven’t established a timeline for his return but it’s encouraging to see him skating with the team,” coach Jacques Martin told NHL.com. “We’ll see if he skates tomorrow.”
Getting Markov back would be a major boost for the Habs and their anemic powerplay. When healthy, he’s one of the NHL’s premier specialists with the man advantage — in 2008-09 he finished in 39 PP points, one less than Sidney Crosby — but staying healthy has been a major issue over the last three years. He missed nearly half of the 2009-10 season with a lacerated ankle, only to come back and tear his ACL in the playoffs.
Last year, he missed all but seven games after tearing his ACL again and — after undergoing surgery in Dec. 2010 — has found it extremely difficult rehabbing the knee to full strength.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 4
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)