Lucic goes on Boston radio, talks Miller hit: “The fans enjoyed it…it was entertaining for them.”

Nov 14, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT

lucic_milan

Shortly after his meeting with NHL discipline czar Brendan Shanahan, Boston Bruins forward Milan Lucic appeared in studio with “Felger & Mazz” on 98.5 The Sports Hub in Boston.

Before we discuss the interview, some context — The Sports Hub is the Bruins’ flagship station (also, the Patriots). There’s a decidedly pro-Boston feel to its coverage…which is why it might not have been the smartest place for Lucic to appear immediately after meeting Shanahan.

You know, because the hit and hearing were kind of contentious. And still a touchy subject for the Sabres.

Regardless, here’s the clip. Some of the more choice quotes include:

On the Miller hit: “I could not have avoided him. (Laughs) No, I couldn’t have. And even if you look at the replay I straighten out my body to lessen the impact as much as I could. I mean, that’s not the type of player that I am to go around running goalies. Obviously the fans enjoyed it…it was entertaining for them.”

On if he believes the hit caused Miller’s concussion: “All I can say is that it’s unfortunate he got hurt. He got hit later on in the period when [Ville] Leino pushed [Tyler] Seguin into him — he got hit just as hard. You get bowled over twice like that, something’s going to happen and it’s unfortunate he got hurt.”

On Miller saying Lucic outweighs him by 50 pounds and calling him a piece of (expletive): “Correction on the 50 pounds…I think I’m 60 pounds heavier than him. (Laughs) So that’s one point. You know what? Whatever. He wanted to stick around and say what he said…I’m not the type of guy that likes to talk trash in the media and I’m not gonna stir things up. If I wanna talk trash, I’ll talk it on the ice so he can hear it directly.”

On Buffalo’s lack of response: “I’m not calling their team out…all I’m gonna say is everyone knows if it happened on our end of the stick what would happen. (Host asks: What would happen?) Well, how we would react — and we’ve shown in the past how we do react.”

On if he thinks this kind of hit should be legal: “Even though we made contact (Laughs)…We made a lot of contact (Host: “You ran him!”)…I braced myself to try and lessen the impact. But if a guy is going out of his way to bury a goalie, I don’t think there’s anything like that. But if it’s a collision that’s unavoidable, there’s nothing you can do about it.”

You can forgive Lucic for what at times sounded like nervous, uncomfortable laughter, but that’s about it. Regardless of what you thought of the hit, joking about it on air with Wacko Willy and The Boosh (or whatever they’re called) isn’t the savviest PR move.

At best, it sounds like he’s having a chuckle at Miller and at worst, he sounds like a sixth-grader that just pulled one over on the principal. As Dave Stubbs from the Montreal Gazette tweeted:

source:

1. Jarred Alexandrov - Nov 14, 2011 at 5:26 PM

He wasn’t really concussed that’s why it’s funny

• promakos - Nov 14, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Then the Bruins better fire their doctor, b/c he was the one that diagnosed it.

• toyopet - Nov 15, 2011 at 9:49 AM

He may not have suffered the concussion until Leino tackled Seguin later in the period & they both tumbled into him again. If you saw the game you may have a better perspective on things. If the score was 4 or 5 to 1 at the time maybe Lucic should have throttled back but the score at the time was 1-0 Sabres.

Miller has been playing injured since last year. What responsibility do Sabres’ management have in all this? Playing a wounded guy all this time to get their $6.25 millions per worth perhaps? Now they can claim it was all Lucic’s fault Miller is out.

What a bunch of bags. They should be sending the Bruins a thank you note that they got this guy off their bench. I know deep down Sabre management is probably relieved Miller is out. Could be forever. But it wasn’t Lucic’s fault.
        Miller has been making bad plays on the ice for quite a while now.

2. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Nov 14, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Sounds like that Habs reporter needs to sharpen his English skills. I don’t see the part where Lucic jokes about concussing Miller, only the part where he jokes about how much he outweighs him by and that other part about how he calls the injury unfortunate. Maybe he’s unhappy that his soft-as-sh*t team has to play against guys like Lucic and Chara

3. cowboys282 - Nov 14, 2011 at 7:22 PM

What a shock. A big mouth from Montreal ranting about Boston. I bet he thinks Lucic should be charged with assault lol

4. danphipps01 - Nov 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM

Hoy. Yes. This is EXACTLY what you should do after getting out of a disciplinary hearing because your hit was questionable enough that Shanahan needed to see you in person. Crack wise about it. I think the hit was fair for Christ’s sake, but don’t go yammering to the media about how entertaining it was. Whether a hit is clean or not, rubbing salt in the wounds is always classless.

• toyopet - Nov 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM

It was a conference call.

5. dcent87 - Nov 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Was an ass…no more respect for him….even though I hate the B’s I have (had) respect for their players

6. nhlbruins90 - Nov 15, 2011 at 1:23 AM

Actually, it was the smartest move Lucic could make. We’re all still talking about it. The Thanksgiving Eve game will have HUGE ratings. Every NHL fan knows his name now. As long as he puts the points up on the board this year (despite his occasional disappearing act) and stays out of trouble with the cops (and his girlfriend), he’ll have a long and lucrative career in Boston. If he gets too hot to handle here, don’t kid yourself, just about every team in the league would love to have him.

He probably could have avoided Miller, but Miller certainly could have avoided Lucic. Just don’t come charging out of the crease into the circle. It’s a contact sport, you might get hit there. Especially if a player is charging down the ice at full speed with his head down for a breakaway.

As they say, it takes two to tango.

7. carol6645 - Nov 19, 2011 at 7:54 AM

Not worth commenting on.

8. carol6645 - Nov 19, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Changed my mind! A comment is in order.
    Lucic is NOT a class act!! What he thinks is funny is SICK!!
    Last year I was 50/50 for the B’s! Things have SO changed because of a classy goalie–Miller and a good Sabres team who are already improving because of forgettable Lucic. (Shanahan LOOKS more like Lucic every time I LOOK!!). Ugly isn’t it??

Top 10 NHL Player Searches