Nov 14, 2011, 9:07 AM EDT
Remember all the optimism the Islanders had heading into the season? Just over a month into things, the Islanders are buried at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and after a lazy 4-1 loss to Vancouver last night, coach Jack Capuano has seen just about enough.
Capuano said after last night’s game to Newsday’s Arthur Staple that there are some guys that need to show what they’ve got and that there are guys that are taking it too easy out there. Capuano even capped it off saying, “Once again, we had a few guys take a night off. They may talk a good game to the media, but you’ve got to perform. We can’t have guys continue to feel comfortable they’ll be in our lineup every night.”
Yikes. Sticking out like sore thumbs when you look at the Isles stat sheet are Blake Comeau and Kyle Okposo. Okposo has been dumped down to the third line and he’s got zero goals this season and has looked completely out of place. Comeau, meanwhile, has zero points this season and has more or less just been floating along with his linemates.
With Nino Niederreiter on his way back up to the team, Okposo and Comeau had better worry about the rookie taking his job. The Isles were supposed to be making progress this season, not falling back to square one. While John Tavares and Michael Grabner continue to impress, guys like Comeau and Okposo drag them down.
And here you thought going with a three-headed goalie rotation was going to be their biggest problem.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 0
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)