Nov 14, 2011, 9:07 AM EST
Remember all the optimism the Islanders had heading into the season? Just over a month into things, the Islanders are buried at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and after a lazy 4-1 loss to Vancouver last night, coach Jack Capuano has seen just about enough.
Capuano said after last night’s game to Newsday’s Arthur Staple that there are some guys that need to show what they’ve got and that there are guys that are taking it too easy out there. Capuano even capped it off saying, “Once again, we had a few guys take a night off. They may talk a good game to the media, but you’ve got to perform. We can’t have guys continue to feel comfortable they’ll be in our lineup every night.”
Yikes. Sticking out like sore thumbs when you look at the Isles stat sheet are Blake Comeau and Kyle Okposo. Okposo has been dumped down to the third line and he’s got zero goals this season and has looked completely out of place. Comeau, meanwhile, has zero points this season and has more or less just been floating along with his linemates.
With Nino Niederreiter on his way back up to the team, Okposo and Comeau had better worry about the rookie taking his job. The Isles were supposed to be making progress this season, not falling back to square one. While John Tavares and Michael Grabner continue to impress, guys like Comeau and Okposo drag them down.
And here you thought going with a three-headed goalie rotation was going to be their biggest problem.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)