Nov 14, 2011, 9:07 AM EDT
Remember all the optimism the Islanders had heading into the season? Just over a month into things, the Islanders are buried at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and after a lazy 4-1 loss to Vancouver last night, coach Jack Capuano has seen just about enough.
Capuano said after last night’s game to Newsday’s Arthur Staple that there are some guys that need to show what they’ve got and that there are guys that are taking it too easy out there. Capuano even capped it off saying, “Once again, we had a few guys take a night off. They may talk a good game to the media, but you’ve got to perform. We can’t have guys continue to feel comfortable they’ll be in our lineup every night.”
Yikes. Sticking out like sore thumbs when you look at the Isles stat sheet are Blake Comeau and Kyle Okposo. Okposo has been dumped down to the third line and he’s got zero goals this season and has looked completely out of place. Comeau, meanwhile, has zero points this season and has more or less just been floating along with his linemates.
With Nino Niederreiter on his way back up to the team, Okposo and Comeau had better worry about the rookie taking his job. The Isles were supposed to be making progress this season, not falling back to square one. While John Tavares and Michael Grabner continue to impress, guys like Comeau and Okposo drag them down.
And here you thought going with a three-headed goalie rotation was going to be their biggest problem.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)