Nov 14, 2011, 9:07 AM EDT
Remember all the optimism the Islanders had heading into the season? Just over a month into things, the Islanders are buried at the bottom of the Eastern Conference and after a lazy 4-1 loss to Vancouver last night, coach Jack Capuano has seen just about enough.
Capuano said after last night’s game to Newsday’s Arthur Staple that there are some guys that need to show what they’ve got and that there are guys that are taking it too easy out there. Capuano even capped it off saying, “Once again, we had a few guys take a night off. They may talk a good game to the media, but you’ve got to perform. We can’t have guys continue to feel comfortable they’ll be in our lineup every night.”
Yikes. Sticking out like sore thumbs when you look at the Isles stat sheet are Blake Comeau and Kyle Okposo. Okposo has been dumped down to the third line and he’s got zero goals this season and has looked completely out of place. Comeau, meanwhile, has zero points this season and has more or less just been floating along with his linemates.
With Nino Niederreiter on his way back up to the team, Okposo and Comeau had better worry about the rookie taking his job. The Isles were supposed to be making progress this season, not falling back to square one. While John Tavares and Michael Grabner continue to impress, guys like Comeau and Okposo drag them down.
And here you thought going with a three-headed goalie rotation was going to be their biggest problem.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)