Nov 14, 2011, 2:57 PM EST
Leafs coach Ron Wilson thinks the NHL needs to do a better job protecting its goalies. Given his team’s current goaltending situation, you can hardly blame him.
“It’ll be interesting to see the direction the league’s going to go,” said Wilson, as per the Globe and Mail. “There’s no white papers out there to describe that kind of an injury or hit with regards to goaltenders. If it was a defenseman, you’d say that it was a clean hit.
“However, a goaltender’s more or less defenseless in some of those situations. They’re not wearing the same type of equipment, they’re not built to absorb a 250-pound freight train running you over. Whereas a defenseman may. That’s the debate that’s going to go on in the next couple of days. Should we be protecting goaltenders?”
For what it’s worth, I can’t believe people are saying stuff like, “If Miller doesn’t want to get hurt, he should stay in his crease.”
Whether you think goalies should be fair game or not, the fact is, they aren’t. Miller deserves absolutely none of the blame for getting injured. That’s all on Lucic.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11