Nov 14, 2011, 2:57 PM EDT
Leafs coach Ron Wilson thinks the NHL needs to do a better job protecting its goalies. Given his team’s current goaltending situation, you can hardly blame him.
“It’ll be interesting to see the direction the league’s going to go,” said Wilson, as per the Globe and Mail. “There’s no white papers out there to describe that kind of an injury or hit with regards to goaltenders. If it was a defenseman, you’d say that it was a clean hit.
“However, a goaltender’s more or less defenseless in some of those situations. They’re not wearing the same type of equipment, they’re not built to absorb a 250-pound freight train running you over. Whereas a defenseman may. That’s the debate that’s going to go on in the next couple of days. Should we be protecting goaltenders?”
For what it’s worth, I can’t believe people are saying stuff like, “If Miller doesn’t want to get hurt, he should stay in his crease.”
Whether you think goalies should be fair game or not, the fact is, they aren’t. Miller deserves absolutely none of the blame for getting injured. That’s all on Lucic.
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 12
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 5
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 51
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 3
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 48
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)