Nov 14, 2011, 2:57 PM EDT
Leafs coach Ron Wilson thinks the NHL needs to do a better job protecting its goalies. Given his team’s current goaltending situation, you can hardly blame him.
“It’ll be interesting to see the direction the league’s going to go,” said Wilson, as per the Globe and Mail. “There’s no white papers out there to describe that kind of an injury or hit with regards to goaltenders. If it was a defenseman, you’d say that it was a clean hit.
“However, a goaltender’s more or less defenseless in some of those situations. They’re not wearing the same type of equipment, they’re not built to absorb a 250-pound freight train running you over. Whereas a defenseman may. That’s the debate that’s going to go on in the next couple of days. Should we be protecting goaltenders?”
For what it’s worth, I can’t believe people are saying stuff like, “If Miller doesn’t want to get hurt, he should stay in his crease.”
Whether you think goalies should be fair game or not, the fact is, they aren’t. Miller deserves absolutely none of the blame for getting injured. That’s all on Lucic.
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 2
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 10
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 34
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 6
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 55
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 14
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 42
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20