Nov 14, 2011, 9:21 PM EDT
The Los Angeles Kings are dealing with two overriding problems right now: injuries and a lack of scoring. With offensive defenseman Alec Martinez joining Dustin Penner on the IR, the Kings will turn to two Russian youngsters: scoring blueliner Slava Voynov and forward Andrei Loktionov.
Voynov played the biggest role of the two so far this season, as he received a nice amount of playing time while Drew Doughty struggled with an injury. The Russian blueliner racked up all three of his points against the Dallas Stars, which ended up being the last game of his first stint with the big club. He likely won’t get that same amount of time since he’s subbing for Martinez instead of Doughty, but either way he’ll try to be an offensive catalyst from the blueline.
If any of the two call-ups makes a big difference, it should be Loktionov, though.
Kings coach Terry Murray hopes the natural center can bring some creativity and puck possession to Penner’s spot on the second line alongside Mike Richards and Dustin Brown. Voynov got more reps so far in 2011-12, but Lotionov played 19 games last season, with much of that time coming as a left wing with Anze Kopitar. He only managed seven points in 2010-11, so the hope is that he brings adds more zip this time around.
Losing everyday players to injuries is rarely a good thing, but the Kings might just enjoy a little Russian invasion.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 3
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 23
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)