Nov 14, 2011, 11:10 PM EDT
Brendan Shanahan was quick to condemn the Buffalo Sabres’ comments that goalies are becoming “fair game” after Milan Lucic wasn’t suspended for his check on Ryan Miller, but one retired official thinks that Lindy Ruff’s complaints are spot-on. Kerry Fraser claimed that Lucic deserved a two-game suspension in his TSN column:
I believe [Shanahan] really missed this call and has sent the wrong message. Like it or not, goalies enjoy preferred treatment similar to endangered species in the wild; at least up until this latest decision. It would now appear they are subjected to the same rules as any other player once they leave the “protection of their nest!” Lindy Ruff has every right to call foul on this non suspension. Milan Lucic should have been suspended for the next two (2) games.
Fraser goes on to explain that he attended a meeting with GMs and coaches in which it was generally agreed that goalies would be “untouchable.” Fraser also believed that the two-minute charging penalty should have been a major instead, so he disagreed with the on-ice officials as well as Shanahan’s ruling.
Long story short, there’s at least one (former) official who claims that goalies aren’t “fair game,” even if they’re outside the crease.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (56)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)