Nov 14, 2011, 11:10 PM EST
Brendan Shanahan was quick to condemn the Buffalo Sabres’ comments that goalies are becoming “fair game” after Milan Lucic wasn’t suspended for his check on Ryan Miller, but one retired official thinks that Lindy Ruff’s complaints are spot-on. Kerry Fraser claimed that Lucic deserved a two-game suspension in his TSN column:
I believe [Shanahan] really missed this call and has sent the wrong message. Like it or not, goalies enjoy preferred treatment similar to endangered species in the wild; at least up until this latest decision. It would now appear they are subjected to the same rules as any other player once they leave the “protection of their nest!” Lindy Ruff has every right to call foul on this non suspension. Milan Lucic should have been suspended for the next two (2) games.
Fraser goes on to explain that he attended a meeting with GMs and coaches in which it was generally agreed that goalies would be “untouchable.” Fraser also believed that the two-minute charging penalty should have been a major instead, so he disagreed with the on-ice officials as well as Shanahan’s ruling.
Long story short, there’s at least one (former) official who claims that goalies aren’t “fair game,” even if they’re outside the crease.
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 0
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)