Nov 14, 2011, 1:34 PM EST
Green missed six games with a sprained ankle before returning to action Friday in New Jersey. Unfortunately, his return would be short-lived. Late in the first period, he was hit in the corner by Devils forward Ryan Carter, who led with his knee on the play. Green was forced to leave with a lower-body injury and didn’t return.
According to Caps coach Bruce Boudreau, Green didn’t reinjure his ankle.
“He’s not making the trip. He’s day to day,” Boudreau said. “We’re hoping that he joins us on the trip, but right now he’s going to stay here and get treatments.”
Washington will travel to Nashville (Tuesday) with just six defensemen. If another one bites the dust against the Predators and Green still isn’t healthy, the Caps will have a day to call up a replacement from Hershey before Thursday’s game in Winnipeg.
The Capitals are 8-0-0 with Green in the lineup and 2-4-1 without.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 26
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)