Nov 14, 2011, 1:34 PM EDT
Green missed six games with a sprained ankle before returning to action Friday in New Jersey. Unfortunately, his return would be short-lived. Late in the first period, he was hit in the corner by Devils forward Ryan Carter, who led with his knee on the play. Green was forced to leave with a lower-body injury and didn’t return.
According to Caps coach Bruce Boudreau, Green didn’t reinjure his ankle.
“He’s not making the trip. He’s day to day,” Boudreau said. “We’re hoping that he joins us on the trip, but right now he’s going to stay here and get treatments.”
Washington will travel to Nashville (Tuesday) with just six defensemen. If another one bites the dust against the Predators and Green still isn’t healthy, the Caps will have a day to call up a replacement from Hershey before Thursday’s game in Winnipeg.
The Capitals are 8-0-0 with Green in the lineup and 2-4-1 without.
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 35
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 45
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 32
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 25
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 50
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35