Nov 14, 2011, 8:16 PM EDT
Upon hearing that the NHL decided not to suspend Milan Lucic for his controversial check on Ryan Miller, Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff and others wondered if it’s “open season” on goalies. To little surprise, that statement irked lead disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, who called the Sabres’ comments “completely irresponsible” and said that it isn’t the case, according to Nick Cotsonika.
Shanahan explained that if someone else runs a goalie, that player will discuss the matter with him. If Shanahan “doesn’t buy” that person’s explanation, then a suspension will occur.
It’s good that Shanahan hopes to hold players accountable (and avoid a Wild West in which netminders morph into heavily padded targets), but the subjective nature of “buying it” could open things up to more complaints. Hopefully future conference calls won’t be the hockey equivalent to an ineffectual trip to the principal’s office, but we’ll have to wait and see once (or if?) a similar collision takes place.
- Subban, Habs can’t agree to terms before arbitration hearing 16
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 19
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 63
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 8
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 31
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)