Nov 14, 2011, 8:16 PM EST
Upon hearing that the NHL decided not to suspend Milan Lucic for his controversial check on Ryan Miller, Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff and others wondered if it’s “open season” on goalies. To little surprise, that statement irked lead disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, who called the Sabres’ comments “completely irresponsible” and said that it isn’t the case, according to Nick Cotsonika.
Shanahan explained that if someone else runs a goalie, that player will discuss the matter with him. If Shanahan “doesn’t buy” that person’s explanation, then a suspension will occur.
It’s good that Shanahan hopes to hold players accountable (and avoid a Wild West in which netminders morph into heavily padded targets), but the subjective nature of “buying it” could open things up to more complaints. Hopefully future conference calls won’t be the hockey equivalent to an ineffectual trip to the principal’s office, but we’ll have to wait and see once (or if?) a similar collision takes place.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 11
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 28
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)