Nov 14, 2011, 8:16 PM EST
Upon hearing that the NHL decided not to suspend Milan Lucic for his controversial check on Ryan Miller, Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff and others wondered if it’s “open season” on goalies. To little surprise, that statement irked lead disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan, who called the Sabres’ comments “completely irresponsible” and said that it isn’t the case, according to Nick Cotsonika.
Shanahan explained that if someone else runs a goalie, that player will discuss the matter with him. If Shanahan “doesn’t buy” that person’s explanation, then a suspension will occur.
It’s good that Shanahan hopes to hold players accountable (and avoid a Wild West in which netminders morph into heavily padded targets), but the subjective nature of “buying it” could open things up to more complaints. Hopefully future conference calls won’t be the hockey equivalent to an ineffectual trip to the principal’s office, but we’ll have to wait and see once (or if?) a similar collision takes place.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)